Body Dysmorphic Disorder and LCWRA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Body Dysmorphic Disorder and LCWRA?

COFFEEPOT2000
COFFEEPOT2000 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone out there who has Body Dysmorphic Disorder on LCWR? I have suffered from BDD for over 20 years and it has a huge impact on all areas of my life and it’s really debilitating. I also suffer from depression and OCD. I am currently on Universal Credit and after my work Capability assessment, they placed me in the LCW group. I have been unable to work for the past several years due to my BDD. When I asked UC to send me their assessment, I felt that some of it was incorrect. Some things weren’t true. Has anyone out there suffering from BDD to the extent they’re unable to work, challenged a decision (a Mandatory Reconsideration/Appeal) and have been successful?

Thanks,

N

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    @COFFEEPOT2000 good evening and welcome to scope, there is never any harm in doing a MR, you might want to get help with it if possible from welfare rights, whilst their offices might not be open atm they should be offering telephone advice.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you had a look at the WCA Activities to work out where you should score points?  It's difficult to judge on your conditions alone, but I'm guessing that the social engagement activity would apply to you for example?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I don't have same condition but u challenged my WCA decision as I was found fit for work despite having my leg amputated severe sight loss and housebound at the time 

I had to take it to tribunal but won and got LCWRA 

Personally I would challenge the decision 
  • COFFEEPOT2000
    COFFEEPOT2000 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited March 2021
    Hi,
    Thank you all for the replies. They’ve just told me that they’re not going to change their decision. I’m a little upset as my body issues are genuine and something that I’ve had all my adult life. I'm in my 40's now. It has held be back all my life. I believe that at least one of the LCWR descriptor applies to me (descriptor 13). In the letter I got back the medical professional just said that I have mental health issues and a haematology problem. There was no mention of Body image issues/Body Dysmorphia although I know this is a mental health issue. I know I could appeal however, my BDD is difficult to prove. 

Have a good day every one.

• COSMICCORI
    COSMICCORI Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi there sweetie.I feel for you,as i too have body dismorphia alao aggraphobia to the point where most of my life has been ruled by my appearence.I too cant work ,im on e.S.A benefit and ive applied for PIP Benefit.I have crohns deseise and now gallstones (biliary collic).I never new what we have had a name until i typed on seach youtube " a thick concealer for my ugly face.Well i watched 3 old videos 3 different people in America.I was heart broken just watching them.Because im all 3 of those people.They have body dismorphia there documentries.I could feel there pain the inner torture of ongoing self lowthing and that feeling of wanting to hide your face.You will know how dibilitating body dismorphia is.I used to think im cursed with this.Like u ive been this way all my life .Im 46 yrs now.Ive developed aggraphobia because of the appearence problems.My face is the worst.I have o.C.D and can never be seen without full make-up which can take 4 hours just getting it on my face but it can take a day just to be passable to get my bloods taken because im on azathioprine tablets which need monatoring every month.When i visit my doctors for a blood test i have too wear full make-up my hair has to be passable and i wear black shades too.If we stop at traffic lights i duck down because i dont want people to see how hideous i look.It sounds odd but thats how bad it is.Ive never gone swimming and in the 'past when i had to pick my kids up from school i have had people starring rudly at me.It made me feel like ****,ive had pannick attacks because the fear of just been out in public looking the way i do.The thing is we are a prisoner to ourselves but we cant pertend to see a normal face.I know what i see in the mirror is abnormal to me.I dont understand why they say its called body dismorphia and they say its not real what we see.My eyes dont lie i clearly see the truth.Its badluck i guess .No doctor can help because pills cant change your face?If i cant stop feeling this then knowone can help.I never knew how bad i am untill i watched those 3 youtube videos.I have found ways of coping with being ugly and axcepting my self the way i am.You cant help how you feel.Its just something we have to live with forever.My heart goes out to you because inside your suffering and people cant understand it they would say its vanity.Its not its a prison and very depressing,and irrational behaviour.I wander how we got this?Mybe genetic,perfection problem,or from somwhere other than earth.Lol i guess we will never know.I truley wish you all the best and no your not alone with this.Do you have a dentist?My dentist wont see me cause i missed some oppointments.Try and have a happy cosmic day.
  • Gemma22
    Gemma22 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Cosmiccori . Did you get pip after ? 
  • Gemma22
    Hello,

I am new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone out there who has Body Dysmorphic Disorder on LCWR? I have suffered from BDD for over 20 years and it has a huge impact on all areas of my life and it’s really debilitating. I also suffer from depression and OCD. I am currently on Universal Credit and after my work Capability assessment, they placed me in the LCW group. I have been unable to work for the past several years due to my BDD. When I asked UC to send me their assessment, I felt that some of it was incorrect. Some things weren’t true. Has anyone out there suffering from BDD to the extent they’re unable to work, challenged a decision (a Mandatory Reconsideration/Appeal) and have been successful?

Thanks,

N
    Hi . Im Just wondering what LCWR is . I have applied for pip and appealed it twice and now taken it to a tribunal because it's not on !!! Bdd is a serious mental illness that significantly effects a person's quality of life and at it's worst suicidal thoughts and suicide can occur. Im Just wondering if LCWR is a benefit for this mental health illness. Thanks.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is extra money paid to UC claimants, as part of the UC award, who have been found to have Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity after having a Work Capability Assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    calcotti said:
    LCWRA is extra money paid to UC claimants, as part of the UC award, who have been found to have Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity after having a Work Capability Assessment.

Just to expand further on this. As Universal Credit is a means tested benefit, whether you qualify will totally depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gemma22
    I am in the support group for ESA but never heard of LCWRA. Pip are unbelievable. Bdd is a long term mental health condition and they are advertising pip but then turning people down so i will be taking it to a tribunal. I can't hold down work because of the condition. It's not like im not out here trying. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Gemma22 said:
    I am in the support group for ESA but never heard of LCWRA. 
    LCWRA for UC claimants is equivalent status to Support Group for ESA claimants.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    It might be worth noting that PIP isn't about your ability to work @gemma22. They use the PIP descriptors (pipinfo.net) to see how many points you score in the 'daily living' and 'mobility' categories. I hope that makes sense :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Gemma22
    Yes i understand but i won it a few years back . Then they were taking everyone off of it . They are turning people even in wheelchairs down . 
  • poppy123456
    Gemma22 said:
     they are advertising pip but then turning people down
    Not sure what you mean by that. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. It's also not about being unable to work, that's what you claim ESA for.
    Gemma22 said:
     Then they were taking everyone off of it . They are turning people even in wheelchairs down . 

The majority of people claim PIP successfully without any problems. It's only natural that you will only read the bad stories.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Gemma22
    It's been all over the news about them turning alot of people down and most are winning when they have taken it to a tribunal. If you have a enduring mental health condition which is what bdd is it comes under pip . 
  • Gemma22
    Pip is for long term mental health. I don't know why they advertise it then turn people down with a mental health condition . It not right !!!
  • poppy123456
    Gemma22 said:
    It's been all over the news about them turning alot of people down and most are winning when they have taken it to a tribunal. If you have a enduring mental health condition which is what bdd is it comes under pip . 

I think you should stop reading the bad stories and concentrate on your claim. Lots of people claim PIP because of the way their mental health conditions affect them but it's not awarded based on any diagnosis.
    What you should do is state exactly where any why you think you should have scored those points and then include a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.
    Expert advice will also help and if you're at Tribunal stage and you can get representation then even better. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

• Gemma22
    Im not reading any stories. It's what ive heard on the news and also at a drop in centre . I appreciate the advice . 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    It must be really difficult hearing this on the news and also at a drop-in centre @Gemma22. How are you feeling at the moment?

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you and thanks for your positive feedback. It is the very least you deserve  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Gemma22
    Hi . Thanks . Can you delete the profile please. I have emailed but nothing back . I was just looking for advice . 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.