Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Corona virus

lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,324 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 9 in Coffee lounge
I have had to come to wolverhampton to look after my mum ,  in mums Street alone 6 people have died   12 of my mums friends have died. All of corona virus.

I had to go food shopping yesterday as there was no food in mums house I went to morrisons , I was shocked  at how many people were in the store most of them  without masks on it was the most awful experience I had in a long time.

I am glad mum is in day center for the next three days so I don't have to go out there are loads of people walking around they don't care how close they get to you  no wonder the cases are still high here 

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,437 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a very high number of deaths personally I know only one person who has had the virus ,that was last march and one person who has died from it.
    The last time we went out (apart from the doctors and hospital) was 23rd Dec.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,114

Scope community team

edited March 9
    Whenever my partner comes back from work, or whenever we do the weekly shop, she is frequently shocked by the number of people who don't wear a face mask, and in particular the amount of young people traveling on public transport who don't. It often aggravates her anxiety even though she has already received the first dose of her vaccine and therefore has a certain level of protection.

Of course, some people don't have to wear one, but I imagine most of the cases are people who just choose not to wear one because they don't see the point, and in turn that makes things worse for those who don't need to wear one for medical reasons.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,324 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope I have seen in first hand now sorry to say this but this honestly doesn't happen in wales 

This is the first time I have been scared being outside I have had to come here to look after my mum until Sunday who has dementia 

In morrisons  where I live in Wales you have to queue as only so many people are allowed in at the same time and have to wear a mask or have proof  of not being able to wear one and there are hand sanitisers  but the one I went to yesterday in England was packed with people no sanitiser and only a couple of people wearing a mask 

People are hanging around in groups on the way from Wales I got stopped three times comring  through Wales once I got over the boarder there was no police or nothing there was loads of traffic and groups of prople hanging around where snack vsns were parked its awful 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,575 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope I have seen in first hand now sorry to say this but this honestly doesn't happen in wales 

My family remain in North Wales and I can assure you that not wearing masks is most definitely as much a thing in Wales as elsewhere. 
    In West Glamorgan you would get fined we have police stopping cars prople eith no masks not allowed in shops without one without permission  

Different places have different ways I supose I got stopped twice between where I live and just short of the border but nothing when I got to England some places in wales which made me smile saying no visitors allowed  wolverhsmpton has alot of cases of corona virus its quite high compared to the over all cases for the whole of wales 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,437 Disability Gamechanger
    from the BBC:

cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 27 Feb-5 Mar. The average area in England had 50*.

Seems the number of cases is just slightly above the national average in Wolverhampton

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,648 Disability Gamechanger
    In my neck of the woods in England it’s rare to see anyone without a mask and many of them keep a two metre distance or at least try to. It probably varies from town to town, place to place.
    @woodbine that's pretty scarry for me as its only 165 new cases across the whole of wales and only 6 new cases in my area makes me feel scared for my mum with dementia not realy knowing what's going on 

Thank you for the information I was trying to find it but mum doesn't  give me much chance lol 
    @leeCal yes I think it does  I am not used to what I was seeing here and people spitting on the floor and large groups of people  snd nothing done 

This does happen in wales but police would intervene and fine covid breaches thry have made thousands of pounds in fines in wales 

I am only here until Sunday so fingers crossed I get home covid free 
    edited March 9
    @woodbine that's pretty scarry for me as its only 165 new cases across the whole of wales and only 6 new cases in my area makes me feel scared for my mum with dementia not realy knowing what's going on 

Thank you for the information I was trying to find it but mum doesn't  give me much chance lol 
    The figure from the BBC was the number of cases per 100,000 people ;the figures for wales are on average just under a 100 per 100,000 for n.wales and the same for mid wales and south wales, so on average slightly up on the figure for Wolverhampton and pretty much in line as you would expect with many areas in the UK. There have been numerous reported cases of people being fined in England over recent months nothing different than the rest of the UK , and I know for a fact that supermarkets are only allowing 1 person to shop or 2 if one is a carer, I have to say that to suggest the situation in England is so much worse than in wales or anywhere else in the UK is being disingenous at least and imho borders on scarmongering i'm sorry to say.
    Although having said that people are entitled to their opinions I think that where something as serious as covid is concerned those opinions should contain more than a modicum of fact.
  • vikingqueenvikingqueen Member Posts: 457 Pioneering
         My son still drives down through Wales and back home to Lancashire every week for work and has still never been stopped, nor has he ever been pulled up near home. Think it's the luck of the draw.
    @woodbine maybe worded wrong between where I live in Wales and where my mum lives its bad compared to where I live 

England will have more cases because its bigger than Wales 

Apologise for any upset 
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,538 Pioneering
    I was quite surprised how packed bus was yesterday, 1st time I've caught one in ages. 1 went in Morrison's and was no limited people going in, was busy. 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,265 Pioneering
    It’s rare to see a police officer around where I live. 
    @MarkN88 only one I have seen since I got to mums was the one that came to the house to do a welfare check to make sure mum wasn't on her own  he scared me lol telling me the virus was bad in mums area 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,265 Pioneering
    @lisathomas50 yeah i think some areas are still worse than others at the moment, but overall everything has come down in terms of infection rates and deaths. As long as you both take all the necessary precautions still than you will be doing everything you can. 
    @Sandy_123 morrisons  by my mums was packed  I think I was shocked  as where I live only ten people at a time and only can go one way two more people were taken to hospital  in my mums Street  one last night one this morning with corona virus lol England is a bigger place lol 😆
    @woodbine maybe worded wrong between where I live in Wales and where my mum lives its bad compared to where I live 

England will have more cases because its bigger than Wales 

Apologise for any upset 
    my figures were direct comparisons by 100,000 cases of population, so it is direct comparison not comparing one with the other.
    @woodbine thanks I think it was just initial shock didn't mean to upset  its  going to be a difficult week lol I am sure I will survive lol 😆
    @lisathomas50 just make sure you wear a mask and you should be fine
  • carthacartha Member Posts: 1,388 Pioneering
    8<
    My family remain in North Wales and I can assure you that not wearing masks is most definitely as much a thing in Wales as elsewhere. 
    People seem to behave well here in Pembrokeshire, as @lisathomas50 described for her area, we have restrictions at the supermarkets and everyone is spaced apart. I sometimes get stares if I put a foot ahead of my two metre blob or line. I still feel uneasy in supermarkets because there are those who don't care, don't wear masks, let their children run their hands over everything, etc. Thankfully they are rare. Even outside a lot are wearing masks but I don't see the point of that in this windy county. All workers and professionals I have dealt with have been masked up apart from one who had his mask under his nose. I have seen a lot of maskless people at the bus stops hanging around close together, so glad I drive. An elderly friend complained that a lot of people on buses weren't wearing a mask back in March/April 2020. No idea what they are like now.

I suppose it must be more difficult to control people in built-up areas where supermarkets and shops probably have far more customers to get through in a day, or they would be queuing down the streets well into the night I imagine. Roads around here are still much quieter than usual outside office hours but seem to be pretty normal during the day.

The only comparison I can make is with a trip to Swansea the end of last year. It was a lot quieter than usual but people in town where I was seemed a lot more relaxed about being close to other people in the streets than they are around here, and I would say there were more people wearing masks outside in the streets there, though mostly under then chin or under the nose. I didn't visit any shops, I just parked up for a meeting and came back home afterwards so it's not really a good comparison.
    @cartha thank you thst was what I was trying to explain but it wasn't comeing out right I am getting used to it at my mums now but only walking now where there isn't many people but still more scary than home 😳
    @lisathomas50 You probably feel less comfortable walking away from home than you do at home, anyway? I know I do. I don't do well in built up areas but I'm at ease out in the middle of nowhere in the countryside. Being worried about a virus going around makes these feelings stronger, I think.

@cartha I could go out my front door and walk and I wouldn't see anyone I sit on my bench in my front garden and be there for an hour or more reading my kindle and no one would walk past thats why here it has scared me lol 
    Wales from Monday 15th hair dressers can open by appointment only  dome pupils back in school but not all untill after Easter holiday 

We can only stay local travel and shopes won't open untill April other businesses have to wait but money will be paid to keep them going 

Thry are tskeing things slow so they can see where the impact is if cases start to rise  

Wales its going to be slow 
    @lisathomas50 Better slow and safe, I think. A bit worried about the schools opening up already but hopefully it will be monitored properly. My daughter had one day in school last week. 

@cartha wales closed a couple of schools in holyhead already and we had a slight rise in cases today so maybe to soon I think 
    @lisathomas50 I don't understand why they start with schools because they are the best place for a virus to transmit to other people then they take it home to their relatives. I suppose they think that getting children to school will get the parents back to work. A lockdown has to be done properly or the virus will keep surfacing and mutating.

We are now in the great situation where half the adult population has has at least their first jab, many European countries are struggling to get 10% done, schools seem to have the situation well under control, but childrens education must be a priority as they have missed so much of it in the last year.
    Precautions still have to be taken as its not 100 percent and lots of people still haven't had it and some can't have it and some have refused to have it 

I think its just a waiting game to see how it pans out 
    @cartha the scientists said if they don't do it slow we will have a third wave by May  holyhead have had a rise and swansea and myther Tydfil  we will see 
    Israel are ahead of us in vaccinations but it seems they are yet to experience a decent effect. I suppose we need to wait about a month after vaccines are done. As for people not taking the vaccine, those of us willing to take it can only do our best to protect ourselves and our families. I think us old fogies should be the ones to be allowed to get together first, as we will be the first to be immunised. Who's up for a geriatric rave in the middle of the Welsh nowheres in a month or so? ;-)
    I'm usually a defender of a freedom of choice in all things BUT in this I firmly believe that the vaccine should be made mandatory, i'm afraid it's the only way out of this. There is precendant for doing this Bradford in 1953 and Manchester in the early 60's with smallpox due to outbreaks, in Bradford they vaccinated 250,000 people in just 3 days (quite an achievement 68 years ago).
    There will of course be a very small number who can't have the covid jab but everybody else should be made to have it, if you stop those who refuse from going to football matches/concerts/festivals/alton towers etc, they would soon be queueing up for it.
    I've now got images of @woodbine chasing anti-vaxxers with a dart gun ;-)

I would prefer people are educated into taking a vaccine than forced to take it. Being forced to take it is only going to add fuel to all the conspiracy arguments. Maybe they could add it to our water without saying anything ;-)

Even if it does turn out that a tiny percentage of people get a blood clot from taking the vaccine, wouldn't those same people be likely to be in a serious way or dead if they caught the full virus, as that is one of the things it causes?  I think some of these people with a fear of the vaccine need to decide if they would prefer a pin **** now or wait for the knife wound later.
    edited March 20
    Sadly I think government have wholly misled themselves and others about what these vaccines are going to do. You can only return to normality if herd immunity is achieved. However, herd immunity is based on reducing the R number well below 1 and applies predominantly for vaccines which offer a cure as this reduces the population of people who are susceptible and thus the numbers who can transmit.

These vaccines do not cure. They reduce your chances of catching C19 and reduce the likely range and severity of symptoms. Whilst the evidence looks promising we do not yet even know whether transmission is reduced. Therefore they do not reduce the numbers susceptible and herd immunity can’t really be achieved. 

I recommend The Rules Of Contagion by Adam Kurchaski as a good means of getting your head around the basics of such things. 

Either way, what this means is that mass vaccinations will much reduce the death rate but won’t achieve herd immunity. In those circumstances the use of compulsion is neither here nor there. The use of masks and social distancing will need to be an ongoing thing.
    Mike good way to explain 
    @cartha my personal opinion is the virus will run its course and get to weak and then will only be a seasonal thing I don't belive it will go away and a yearly vacinstion like they do with the flu 

It's been going a year now and I belive what the scientists say but we as people can keep ourselves and our family safe  

Mike is that the same with the flu vacination  from my understanding the common cold is a type of corona virus they havrnt found a cure for that please correct me if I am wrong 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,126 Disability Gamechanger
    So, yes, we do indeed need as many people as possible to get vaccinated to both reduce their likelihood of getting a severe reaction to Covid-19, & to hope these vaccinations will reduce the transmissibility of this virus. As mentioned above, we don't as yet have enough studies to indicate this as yet. Hopefully we will know more in the coming months.

Mike is that the same with the flu vacination  from my understanding the common cold is a type of corona virus they havrnt found a cure for that please correct me if I am wrong 
    Yes that’s pretty much spot on.
    Only time will tell but I think Mike explained it realy well 
    Over time we should live better with the virus, like we do with influenza. The main thing is to reduce the deaths. I have always had to be careful with my elderly parents, and always stayed away from them when I had a cold or something. Even myself, I was was very ill for two long years after my daughter started school. That was also around the time swine flu was doing its rounds so who knows what I was picking up. I have a few chest infections, and now when I get a cold I have to have antibiotics for my cough or it doesn't go away. I used to smoke so that may have weakened my lungs first.

Influenza is also a corona virus, yes. The only cure is to keep all humans apart until all have recovered.
    chiarieds said:
    So, yes, we do indeed need as many people as possible to get vaccinated to both reduce their likelihood of getting a severe reaction to Covid-19, & to hope these vaccinations will reduce the transmissibility of this virus. As mentioned above, we don't as yet have enough studies to indicate this as yet. Hopefully we will know more in the coming months.

There is a current study to see if Astra Zeneca is causing blood clots in the brain but even if it does turn out to be the cause, it happens in something like 0.001% of people taking the vaccine, so I'm guessing that tiny percentage could be prone to blood clot problems anyway and may suffer far more if they caught the virus. I know that current studies have shown a reduction in blood clots for people taking the Astra Zeneca but that is clots in the legs and lungs? From what I remember. Either way, it's a very small percentage of people so no reason for the masses to not take the vaccine.

@lisathomas50 How is your granddaughter doing now?

@cartha I belive if they just kept us in lockdown until all the vacinstions have been done and the R is all the way down I think in my opinion we might stand a better chance 
    @cartha she said she doesnt feel the same but she is better 
    @lisathomas50 Yes, that's all we can do really. I'm off to bed now. G'night all :-)

Sign in or join us to comment.