Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is majii! How do you provide proof of disability when applying for offers?

majiimajii Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 10 in Disabled people
I am wondering how other disabled people provide proof of disability when availing of offers like theatres or cinemas (Covid allowing)
I had a card from my local authority but I lost it and they no longer do them as apparently they are considered disrespectful (I thought it was convenient) 
I find it more disrespectful having to try prove I am disabled and bring benefits letters to prove this which some staff in businesses don’t understand and don’t accept
anyone got any ideas or information on this 
- my disabilities are physical but invisible I do use a walking aid but often am told “anyone could pretend and buy a stick”


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger

    There is a card called cea card for use in participating cinemas you can apply online for this it costs £6 per year and allows a carer to attend free of charge 

    For other venues usually showing a blue badge or copy of pip award letter acts as proof 

    Hope this helps
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,541 Pioneering
    Hi @majii invisible disability can be frustrating at times as people think there is nothing wrong because you look ok. 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,039

    Scope community team

    Hi @majii :) Welcome to the community!

    I'm sorry you're having trouble with accessing some of the offers available to disabled people. Unfortunately it seems as though each company have their own guidelines on what proof they'll accept. 

    Here's a link to the CEA card for cinema entry that Janer1967 mentioned. 

    If you're looking at getting a Disabled Persons Railcard, here's a list of the proof they accept.

    If you enjoy attending gigs (when they're back on), you might like to consider paying £15 for an Access Card that lasts 3 years.  

    As Janer1967 said, you can also sometimes use your Blue Badge if you have one, or a disabled person's bus pass. 

    Another option could be paying for a DID card, although I don't know how widely recognised they are. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • majiimajii Member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks thanks everyone who responded and thanks for  helpful information 
Sign in or join us to comment.