Hi, my name is majii! How do you provide proof of disability when applying for offers? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is majii! How do you provide proof of disability when applying for offers?

Options
majii
majii Community member Posts: 24 Connected
hi
I am wondering how other disabled people provide proof of disability when availing of offers like theatres or cinemas (Covid allowing)
I had a card from my local authority but I lost it and they no longer do them as apparently they are considered disrespectful (I thought it was convenient) 
I find it more disrespectful having to try prove I am disabled and bring benefits letters to prove this which some staff in businesses don’t understand and don’t accept
anyone got any ideas or information on this 
- my disabilities are physical but invisible I do use a walking aid but often am told “anyone could pretend and buy a stick”

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

There is a card called cea card for use in participating cinemas you can apply online for this it costs £6 per year and allows a carer to attend free of charge 

For other venues usually showing a blue badge or copy of pip award letter acts as proof 

Hope this helps
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @majii invisible disability can be frustrating at times as people think there is nothing wrong because you look ok. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @majii :) Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry you're having trouble with accessing some of the offers available to disabled people. Unfortunately it seems as though each company have their own guidelines on what proof they'll accept. 

Here's a link to the CEA card for cinema entry that Janer1967 mentioned. 

If you're looking at getting a Disabled Persons Railcard, here's a list of the proof they accept.

If you enjoy attending gigs (when they're back on), you might like to consider paying £15 for an Access Card that lasts 3 years.  

As Janer1967 said, you can also sometimes use your Blue Badge if you have one, or a disabled person's bus pass. 

Another option could be paying for a DID card, although I don't know how widely recognised they are. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • majii
    majii Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    thanks thanks everyone who responded and thanks for  helpful information 

Brightness