What help can I get on benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What help can I get on benefits?

smegismith Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have osteoarthritis in both hips and lower back it's getting to th point that I am not able to do my job cause of the pain I am in what help can I get on benifits


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,354 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    If you can no longer work you need to give off sick and claim ssp for 28 weeks and go through your employers medical dismissal process 

    Dont just give up your job as it could affect future benefit claims 

    Once ssp ends or 3 months before it ends you can claim new style esa if you have paid enough ni contributions 

    If non of this applies you can claim UC and report medical condition and supply fit notes.  You will then get a work capability assessment but till this is complete you will be asked to look for work 

    You also will have a WCA for esa

    This determines if you are fit for work or not 

    There are other benefits like housing element council tax reduction 
    Also have you looked at pip and if you meet the criteria 

    Lots to take in ask any questions and look through our benefits section 

    You can also use a benefits calculator 

  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,454 Scope online community team
    edited March 2021
    Hello @smegismith

    Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us. 

    I have moved your discussion to our benefit entitlement category, you might wish to fill out a benefits calculator, to see what you might be able to claim.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,309 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Note that you can claim UC while only getting SSP (or if just in a low paid job). Whether or you will be entitled to anything depends on your household circumstances. Try using a benefit calculator. https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.