What help can I get on benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What help can I get on benefits?

Options
smegismith
smegismith Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have osteoarthritis in both hips and lower back it's getting to th point that I am not able to do my job cause of the pain I am in what help can I get on benifits

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

If you can no longer work you need to give off sick and claim ssp for 28 weeks and go through your employers medical dismissal process 

Dont just give up your job as it could affect future benefit claims 

Once ssp ends or 3 months before it ends you can claim new style esa if you have paid enough ni contributions 

If non of this applies you can claim UC and report medical condition and supply fit notes.  You will then get a work capability assessment but till this is complete you will be asked to look for work 

You also will have a WCA for esa

This determines if you are fit for work or not 

There are other benefits like housing element council tax reduction 
    Also have you looked at pip and if you meet the criteria 

Lots to take in ask any questions and look through our benefits section 

You can also use a benefits calculator 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hello @smegismith

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us. 

I have moved your discussion to our benefit entitlement category, you might wish to fill out a benefits calculator, to see what you might be able to claim.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Note that you can claim UC while only getting SSP (or if just in a low paid job). Whether or you will be entitled to anything depends on your household circumstances. Try using a benefit calculator. https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.