Disincentivized to improve — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disincentivized to improve

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,365 Disability Gamechanger

Not looking to start any arguments here. Not really sure what I want from this thread, I guess I am just sharing my experience and looking for advice and to see if anyone can relate.

I currently only go out of the house with a family member. I am working on being able to go out alone.

We have broken it down to the smallest level possible and are starting with just a 2 minute walk. I am now at the stage where I have gone through all the facts about being out alone, rehearsed it with a professional, and really all there is to do is make the push and just do it. I am not there yet but I like to think I am getting nearer to the point that I am ready to have a go and see what happens.

However there is a big spanner in the works. This is the fact that, once I am able to leave the house alone, even for a 2 minute walk, I lose my higher rate mobility PIP, and so my Motability car, which is basically my life.

Do not get me wrong: I would give up my PIP and my car any day to be able to PROPERLY go out and about on my own - to the shops, to see friends and relatives, or go to work...

But sacrificing it just to be able to go for a 2 minute walk doesn’t seem worth it to me. Therefore, I find myself in a position where, even if one day I found I could do it, I lack the motivation to go for the walk.

I’m not saying I don’t want to get better. Like I say if I got to the point where I could go out on my own for a proper full length trip i.e. to the shops I’d gladly rip up my PIP claim and hand the car keys back tomorrow!

However the treatment doesn’t work like that and I have to start small, do it in small steps, and the system discourages making that first step.

I won’t pretend to know the answer but maybe there could do with being a grace period of say a year so I have time to work with professionals and get to a decent position of independence, not just a 2 minute walk, before losing my award.

Does anyone have anything to say about this?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My opinion on this would be that you would have to be able to do that safely and reliably whenever you wanted to /needed to, there would be no rush to report a small step if I can put it that way, but if you got to the stage where you could go out on your own, whenever you wanted to, wherever you wanted to and as often as you chose to then would be the time to report a change of circumstance.
    I would always suggest that people are careful about reporting an improvement until they are as certain as they can be that the change is going to be permanent.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    @woodbine and @Username_removed thank you very much for the posts - that all makes perfect sense. I really appreciate the advice.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    As the others have said a 2 minute walk is hardly being able to go out repeatedly safely and reliably and PIP is about what you are like for majority of time not just 2 minutes a day 

You dont need to worry about reporting a change and dint let it put you off trying to get out 

Small baby steps 
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @janer1967

I agree small baby steps
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited March 2021
    66mustang

Also I was in a similar position, now I've given up my ongoing PIP enhanced both rates, I still had 7 years left, but enjoyment is better than any money. I've used this time in the pandemic to get myself better, and in shape to get back to normality.

I have both physical and MH problems too.

Yes, it's taken a year to achieve this, I also was in hospital with covid-19 for a month, 2 weeks unconscious, but won that battle too. So now learning to live with little problems instead of being on my own, I feel free.

Your just beginning a journey to improve your that in itself is priceless. Start from the bottom and you can get to the top.

Good luck @66Mustang only give up your PIP when your at a point you can manage without it.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.