Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

New Style ESA

Girl_No1Girl_No1 Member Posts: 105 Courageous
I'm on nsESA (contribution-based) awaiting assessment.  Once the 365 days are up, I will not be eligible for any means-tested benefits due to savings and a small pension.  Given my conditions I would be hopeful of being assessed as having limited capacity for work or being placed in the support group.

My questions are:

1. What happens if I have not been assessed when the 365 days expire?
  2. Would the assessment take place beyond 365 days?
  3. If assessment will not take place beyond 365 days, how far in advance of day 365 should I begin chasing-up an assessment date?
  4. If the assessment takes place beyond 365 days, are any payments due backdated to day 366?
  5. If I'm assessed as limited capacity, but ineligible for means-tested benefits, would NI credits continue to be paid?
  6. If I'm assessed as support group, but ineligible for means-tested benefits, do NI credits and payments continue to be made?

Everything I read about nsESA seems to contradict anything I've read before, so any information would be appreciated!  

Replies

• calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,217 Pioneering
    edited March 12
    1. Payments would stop after 365 days.
    2. The assessment should still take place. 
    3. Worth chasing if possible, much more convenient to get it sorted sooner. They are very behind.
    4. If the outcome was LCW although you would not be paid anything it would entitle you to receive Class 1 NI credits due to LCW.
    5. If the outcome was to place you in the Support Group ESA would be reinstated and arrears paid. Anyone in receipt of ESA gets Class 1 NI credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Girl_No1Girl_No1 Member Posts: 105 Courageous
    @calcotti thank you for your speedy and full response.  Much appreciated!  :) 
Sign in or join us to comment.