New Style ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style ESA

Options
Girl_No1
Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
I'm on nsESA (contribution-based) awaiting assessment.  Once the 365 days are up, I will not be eligible for any means-tested benefits due to savings and a small pension.  Given my conditions I would be hopeful of being assessed as having limited capacity for work or being placed in the support group.

My questions are:

1. What happens if I have not been assessed when the 365 days expire?
  2. Would the assessment take place beyond 365 days?
  3. If assessment will not take place beyond 365 days, how far in advance of day 365 should I begin chasing-up an assessment date?
  4. If the assessment takes place beyond 365 days, are any payments due backdated to day 366?
  5. If I'm assessed as limited capacity, but ineligible for means-tested benefits, would NI credits continue to be paid?
  6. If I'm assessed as support group, but ineligible for means-tested benefits, do NI credits and payments continue to be made?

Everything I read about nsESA seems to contradict anything I've read before, so any information would be appreciated!  

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    1. Payments would stop after 365 days.
    2. The assessment should still take place. 
    3. Worth chasing if possible, much more convenient to get it sorted sooner. They are very behind.
    4. If the outcome was LCW although you would not be paid anything it would entitle you to receive Class 1 NI credits due to LCW.
    5. If the outcome was to place you in the Support Group ESA would be reinstated and arrears paid. Anyone in receipt of ESA gets Class 1 NI credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    @calcotti thank you for your speedy and full response.  Much appreciated!  :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.