Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

moving in with friends?

J35J35 Member Posts: 33 Connected
hi i got a quick question, i'm currently receiving UC with LCWRA and PIP im also under 35. since im getting PIP daily living i've read that means that i can claim for the 1 bed rate instead of shared is this right? if so will any of this be affected if i move in with friends (currently not receiving any housing benefit) can i still claim housing benefit if im living with friends? its all very confusing, thanks 


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,205 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    To claim housing element you will need a tenancy agreement to show who landlord is and amount of rent paid along side details of the agreement

    I not 100 %:but think you are correct about being entitled to 1 bedroom rate you will need to check what the allowance is for your local  authority 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,252 Pioneering
    If you get the Daily Living component of PIP you are correct that this means your maximum housing element amount is capped at the one bedroom rate rather than the shared occupancy rate (although I think there is another discussion on here from someone who is having trouble getting UC to recognise this). Living with friends does not affect this.

    It will be the housing element of UC you will be claiming - not housing benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.