moving in with friends? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

moving in with friends?

Options
J35
J35 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
hi i got a quick question, i'm currently receiving UC with LCWRA and PIP im also under 35. since im getting PIP daily living i've read that means that i can claim for the 1 bed rate instead of shared is this right? if so will any of this be affected if i move in with friends (currently not receiving any housing benefit) can i still claim housing benefit if im living with friends? its all very confusing, thanks 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

To claim housing element you will need a tenancy agreement to show who landlord is and amount of rent paid along side details of the agreement

I not 100 %:but think you are correct about being entitled to 1 bedroom rate you will need to check what the allowance is for your local  authority 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you get the Daily Living component of PIP you are correct that this means your maximum housing element amount is capped at the one bedroom rate rather than the shared occupancy rate (although I think there is another discussion on here from someone who is having trouble getting UC to recognise this). Living with friends does not affect this.

It will be the housing element of UC you will be claiming - not housing benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.