PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

DWP brown envelope

roberttrobertt Member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi guys. Today I have received brown envelope DWP Belfast. I haven't opened it yet. I got my award last year in March until March 2023. Could it be that they want to call me for assessment? 

Replies

• MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,298 Pioneering
    I would just open it. It’s speculation until you do. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,516 Disability Gamechanger
    It could in all likelyhood just be notification of this years benefits increases, after all it is that time of year.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • roberttrobertt Member Posts: 20 Connected
    Thank you guys. I'm actually thinking of stopping claim and try to work. It's a bit stressful constantly thinking about upcoming assignments etc. I will open the envelope when get home later. 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,703 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 18
    @robertt such self discipline! If I get a brown envelope I rip it open immediately! Gets the pain over and done with 🙂

(sometimes it’s good news)
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    @robertt ir may just be an extension letter due to covid

It is unlikely to be assessment as they send them 6 months 0prior ti end award so you shouldn't get any till till about oct nov 2022

You dont need to stop your claim 8f you work you can get PIP and still work as long as work doesnt contradict why you claim PIP 

You may as well just keep it until at least the award ends 
  • QueenofdisabilitiesQueenofdisabilities Member Posts: 91 Connected
    robertt just open it its been sent to you for a reason may be nothing to worry about.
  • QueenofdisabilitiesQueenofdisabilities Member Posts: 91 Connected
    Leecal im totally with you!
    I get brown PIp envelopes & think oh no what do they want with me now?!
    I just rip the plaster off & rip the envelope open.
    Take that yon brown envelope from t Pip!!!
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,516 Disability Gamechanger
    You can usually guess if its a thin letter inside it will be something and nothing, the thicker the letter then its usually important.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • roberttrobertt Member Posts: 20 Connected
    Hey guys. If anyone receives brown envelope is most likely PIP increase rates from April this year. That's what I got yesterday. Thank you for your help. 
  • dve24dve24 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    not necessarily if its a thin letter I got one yesterday a single piece of paper telling me my claim has been stopped 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,187

Scope community team

I feel like they should change the colour of the letters. Make the envelope orange or something and they might not seem as daunting :) 

Glad it wasn't anything to worry about in the end @robertt
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,298 Pioneering
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,443 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about a bright pink envelope covered in flowers and emojis with an award refusal letter inside.  :D
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,187

Scope community team

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a bright pink envelope covered in flowers and emojis with an award refusal letter inside.  :D
    Fair point. They could colour code them so the bad ones remain brown, but I guess that wouldn't help in the slightest to ease people's worry about opening them :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,443 Disability Gamechanger
    On a serious note, I don't think it would make any difference.  People would soon get used to whatever colour the 'bad' ones became and the anxiety would come back.   
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,703 Disability Gamechanger
    Years ago all business envelopes were brown, now from a Pavlovian point of view that could get quite ambiguous ...woof!
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,628 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP are doing some interesting stuff around this at present. Bottom line though is that the anxiety around such things stems from internalised beliefs about the contents and DWP itself and no change of colour or size is going to change that. You're either going to open the envelope or you're not. 
  • laurapeachlaurapeach Member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    If it's a thin envelope it's more than likely just about the benefit rates for this year, I got one the other day and had the same panic!
    Mum of one, I have M.E/CFS, POTS, Central Sensitization Syndrome and Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.
Sign in or join us to comment.