DWP brown envelope — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP brown envelope

Options
robertt
robertt Community member Posts: 120 Connected
Hi guys. Today I have received brown envelope DWP Belfast. I haven't opened it yet. I got my award last year in March until March 2023. Could it be that they want to call me for assessment? 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I would just open it. It’s speculation until you do. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It could in all likelyhood just be notification of this years benefits increases, after all it is that time of year.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• robertt
    Options
    Thank you guys. I'm actually thinking of stopping claim and try to work. It's a bit stressful constantly thinking about upcoming assignments etc. I will open the envelope when get home later. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @robertt such self discipline! If I get a brown envelope I rip it open immediately! Gets the pain over and done with ?

(sometimes it’s good news)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @robertt ir may just be an extension letter due to covid

It is unlikely to be assessment as they send them 6 months 0prior ti end award so you shouldn't get any till till about oct nov 2022

You dont need to stop your claim 8f you work you can get PIP and still work as long as work doesnt contradict why you claim PIP 

You may as well just keep it until at least the award ends 
  • Queenofdisabilities
    Queenofdisabilities Community member Posts: 91 Connected
    Options
    robertt just open it its been sent to you for a reason may be nothing to worry about.
  • Queenofdisabilities
    Queenofdisabilities Community member Posts: 91 Connected
    Options
    Leecal im totally with you!
    I get brown PIp envelopes & think oh no what do they want with me now?!
    I just rip the plaster off & rip the envelope open.
    Take that yon brown envelope from t Pip!!!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can usually guess if its a thin letter inside it will be something and nothing, the thicker the letter then its usually important.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• robertt
    Options
    Hey guys. If anyone receives brown envelope is most likely PIP increase rates from April this year. That's what I got yesterday. Thank you for your help. 
  • dve24
    dve24 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    not necessarily if its a thin letter I got one yesterday a single piece of paper telling me my claim has been stopped 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I feel like they should change the colour of the letters. Make the envelope orange or something and they might not seem as daunting :) 

Glad it wasn't anything to worry about in the end @robertt
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about a bright pink envelope covered in flowers and emojis with an award refusal letter inside.  :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about a bright pink envelope covered in flowers and emojis with an award refusal letter inside.  :D
    Fair point. They could colour code them so the bad ones remain brown, but I guess that wouldn't help in the slightest to ease people's worry about opening them :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    On a serious note, I don't think it would make any difference.  People would soon get used to whatever colour the 'bad' ones became and the anxiety would come back.   
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Years ago all business envelopes were brown, now from a Pavlovian point of view that could get quite ambiguous ...woof!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    Options
    If it's a thin envelope it's more than likely just about the benefit rates for this year, I got one the other day and had the same panic!
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.