Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Little achievements

66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,100 Disability Gamechanger
I (helped to) cooked macaroni cheese last week and a beef casserole dish yesterday. Both with the help of a family member of course - but it’s the first building blocks to being independent.

I also made a very short phone call to my support worker having not used the phone for a long time. Again I hope the start of something bigger and better.

What little achievements have you completed recently? :)

Replies

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,187

Scope community team

An amazing thread @66Mustang, and it's great to hear that you've made those steps. The little things are always the gateway to overall improvement :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,100 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @Ross_Scope for the kind words :)

I agree that most good things are done in little steps.

Hopefully others will have some achievements to share :)
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,541 Pioneering
    Hi 66mustang well done you. I can't say I've achieved anything recently to be honest, you must feel pleased, little starts at things always the way forwards 
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,100 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @Sandy_123, I’m sure you have achieved something recently even something small if you think about the last few days? :smiley:
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done @66Mustang keep it up 

I would have to say doing my diplomas last year in criminology  and criminal psychology 
    Thank you and they sound like great courses @janer1967, well done for doing them.

I’m working on economics at the moment - I’m about 1/8 of the way through the course.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,207 Disability Gamechanger
    Well macaroni cheese is one of my favourite meals, & definitely my son's.....it was the first meal he learnt to cook. So an excellent & inspired start! It's great to see you making that little bit of progress. Congratulations. :)
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang well done you, my achievement this week has been to read a book unlike most I usually read, it was about Britain on the Brink 27th and 28th October 1962 and how close we can to nuclear annilalation during the Cuban missile crisis with dozens of our V force aircraft being loaded with thermonuclear bombs and the pilots sat in their planes ready for take off, and our 60 Thor ICBM's primed and ready to launch.
    I was three years old at the time made me wonder how I ever reached four !
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,753 Disability Gamechanger
    Proud of you @66Mustang :)

After struggling both mentally and physically these last two weeks, i'm trying to find little achievements every day. My favourite one is making Daisy smile, despite how I feel, it makes me a little happier knowing I can make my daughter happy.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,363 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang well done your doing well 
  • carthacartha Member Posts: 1,388 Pioneering
    Well done @66Mustang .  I have a terrible problem with phones but spoke with my mental health advocate on Monday. That's my main achievement this past week. Only a phone call to most but for some reason I have real difficulty with phones which has probably been the worst part of lockdown for me, with everyone insisting on doing everything over the phone now.

Apologies for the slow reply but just want to say thank you for all of the lovely messages. :) Also, thanks for sharing your own achievements - really nice to read and well done to everyone :)
  • Caz_AlumniCaz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 626 Pioneering
    What a great idea for a post @66Mustang

You're right - it's really important for us all to celebrate our small 'wins', whatever they might be!

p.s. Mine is VERY SLOWLY learning to navigate my way around the Scope Online Community as a new member of the team  :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • GarzaGarza Member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Years ago I was an avid reader, could finish a book every week or two, barely missed a day reading, that fell away until I hadn't read a book in years, since christmas I have read two books and on my third 
    Just bumping this thread up to post up another little achievement

For the last 6 months I have been struggling to study but over the last week I have done 10 hours’ worth of study which is more than I’d done in the previous 2 months. I’m really pleased and hope that I’ll continue to be able to do it  :)
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang well done you . You really seem to be motivated currently keep it up 
    Thanks @janer1967 really kind of you to say :)
  • GlobsterGlobster Community Co-Production Group Posts: 737 Pioneering
    @66Mustang
    well done you seem going great guns 66 mustang 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,705 Disability Gamechanger
    I managed a short walk today with the help of my partner, that’s three in two weeks which is good for me. Hopefully we can go out in the car at some point this week especially nice in the sunshine.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,207 Disability Gamechanger
    Apologies @66Mustang - I thought I'd sent you a message this afternoon. That's certainly an achievement, which I hope you can continue with, so congratulations. :)@leeCal -  also great to read about your progress. :)
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,039

Scope community team

That's great, well done on both @66Mustang! Good luck with the studying.

It's fab to hear that from you too @leeCal :) The weather's looking lovely, so I hope you manage to get out for a bit. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

• WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,358 Pioneering
    Hi @66Mustang
                               Hope you are well :) Thank you for starting this post and many congratulations on all of your achievements. It's something, that I feel is generally overlooked by society, which has developed this idea that achievement has to big and better. Please don't get me wrong every achievement is worth celebrating but that's the point, we all achieve, everyday. Thank you for sharing your experiences :) 
    Thank you everyone for the lovely messages and thank you for sharing your achievement @leeCal. I hope you managed to get out today in the nice weather.  :):)
    @66Mustang me and my partner went out in the car and whilst out the near side coil spring broke! Fancy that, a spring broke in the spring! Not too pleased about that and due to the forthcoming holiday weekend it can’t be fixed until next Tuesday. Meanwhile it pulls to the left and can’t be driven over say forty, thirty to be safe. So not a good day today ☹️
    Oh no :( sorry to hear that :( there is always something going wrong with cars isn’t there!! :|
    Yes, I suppose it’s old now, thirteen years. It doesn’t look it but the electronic boot now won’t open either so I think perhaps the parts are approaching the end of the road.
    Pleased you got out @leeCal - but sorry you came back with a poorly car.
    Thank you @chiarieds, yes it’s a shame, especially since I’ve had a lot of bills lately. Never mind it could have been worse.
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,143 Pioneering
    I'm thinking about going out today for a drive around and giving the car along with myself a treat. Its been in lockdown like myself for a while now and needs a run. I didn't think when I bought it in July 2019 that it would have only done 3600miles by now it should beat least twice that much. I'll play some oldie songs while driving and escape for a while and have a little fun. 

I hope you do get out for a drive @Dragonslayer - I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,039

Scope community team

That sounds lovely @Dragonslayer :) It'll be good to get out. 

Online Community Coordinator, she/her

@Dragonslayer

Did you manage to get out for a drive yet? :)
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,143 Pioneering
    @66Mustang

I did and boy was it great,
    it's amazing how a change no matter how small can lift the spirits and make you feel better, especially when playing the old golden oldies I loved back then. I think I will now definitely add a drive now and then to my things to do during the weeks ahead.  
    Great to hear!!

I always would advocate the therapeutic benefits of going out for a drive. I think it is the last thing I would give up being able to do.

Do you like driving in general or is it just something to get you out of the house? What car do you drive? :)
    @66Mustang

I love driving, always have and it is also the one thing I would not want to give up even though walking to and from it can sometimes be hard. I bought a new Ford Eco drive, July 2019 (An SUV but smaller than others) It is easy to drive a joy in fact and very nippy when the turbo kicks in. It has no clutch and I use it in automatic mostly but it has sport gears operated with triggers on the wheel. It also features all the latest tech, which I wanted like sat nav. Picks up my phone once in for hands free and much much more all shown on a computer screen on the dash. 
    It is as you say therapeutic and does give me the freedom of movement I don't get from not being able to walk far without pain, or sometimes not at all. 
    @Dragonslayer

Not heard of the Eco Drive, do you mean EcoSport? Sounds great though and I agree the recent Ford turbo engines are good and yes very nippy. The gearbox sounds good fun as well.

I must say I was not so much into tech in cars but my current car has some tech which I really took a liking to. Hill start assist is a great feature and the ability to play songs from my mobile phone is good too.
    @66Mustang

Sorry it is an Eco Sport. I take it you have a Mustang? 
    Congratulations MrAllen. :)
    @66Mustang@Dragonslayer hope you both get out for a nice drive today or tomorrow; weather probably better today. :)
    @Dragonslayer I thought so, I always thought it was a cool looking car in my opinion. :) No, I don’t own a Mustang sadly. They are one of my favourite cars though particularly the older ones. My profile picture is of me driving a 1965 Mustang at Bicester heritage site before the lockdowns. I currently drive a Mini :)

@chiarieds Thank you, I managed to get out for a drive today along one of my favourite driving roads. I haven’t done this road since before the most recent lockdown came into effect so I was pleased to be able to do it again. I hope you managed to  have some time in the garden today or are still planning on doing so. :)
    I'm loving all the talk about driving :)

Going out for a nice long drive on a good driving road is definitely one of the little achievements that I'm looking forward to most as we come out of lockdown. I haven't yet had the opportunity to venture too far afield - for obvious reasons - but I love going for a good run just to explore and take in the scenery.

Here's hoping we have some nice weather over summer to do just that!

And of course, there are going to be lots of other little achievements and little things to look forward as lockdown measures start to ease more and more (fingers crossed!) over the coming months :)

@66Mustang @Caz_Scope
    Its good to hear from all fellow drivers.

I'm looking forward to driving down to Cornwall this summer and then later, if hospital visits don't interfere Scotland not too long after. 
    edited April 4
    @Dragonslayer maybe see you up in Scotland as I hope to go there once we are allowed to :smiley:
    @66Mustang
    We went twice in 2019 first Dundee and then Edinburgh.
    Maybe we will run into each other.
    I drove 40 miles on the motorway today for a hospital appointment :smiley: I find driving on the motorway hard for those who don’t know so it’s a little achievement for me. :smiley:
    Yes @66Mustang, I'd definitely count that as a little win!

It might not be your favourite thing to do, but at least it was a nice day for it, I suppose?

Good on you :)

@66Mustang

Hi Bud. I don't think we will run into each other in Scotland. However slim the chances. My condition and treatment has put a stop to us going. I hope you have a great time though, say hello for me.
    A good run on the motorway is fun, I'm glad you liked it. I am still going on a run now and then, still listening to golden oldies blasting out and enjoying myself.
    Alan.
    @Dragonslayer sorry to hear that you can’t get up there but I think you are doing the right thing putting your treatment first. I hope that it does some good and that you start to feel a bit better soon.

I don’t know when I’ll be going to be honest as there will be a huge rush of people going there over the coming months and I am not good with crowds plus you go there to get away from all the rush don’t you!

Im glad you can still get out for a drive. I am just wondering, what are some of your favourite driving songs?
    @66Mustang
    It may be a good idea to go Scotland later, for as you say it is a place to avoid crowds, not run into them and I have to get well. I feel fit and healthy and a good drive is a tonic in itself. It would be a good idea if I could walk OK though.
    Thanks for the kind words. 
    I could write a long, long list of songs. I was into the Stones back then, Satisfaction, 19th nervous breakdown. The Kinks, I Like most of the Beach Boys. Bryan Adams, Summer of 69. Queen are great to drive to. The Show must go on, Its a kind of Magic. To name but a few. I could go on, but hope you get the idea. Rock mostly, but not heavy metal.

Thanks for sharing @Dragonslayer

I quite like some of the songs you mention but differently I also like heavy metal music as well. Do you like Genesis? I think they made some good songs.
    @66Mustang
    I do like Genesis, and Phil Collins but don't have any tracks by the band or him. Must put that on my to do list.
    Elton John is a favourite of mine also Rod Stewart. 
Sign in or join us to comment.