Access to banking services as an appointee — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Access to banking services as an appointee

duncan_ayre Member Posts: 3 Listener
My adult daughter does not have capacity to manage her own affairs. My wife is an appointee under dwp appointee ship scheme. The court of protection gave us deputyship for welfare , but not for finance, because her only income is her benefits so there is no need.

the problem is that her account is not manageable with the banking restrictions imposed upon us. We are not allowed online banking for her account. And now with the onset of dual factor authentication for everybody, she will be unable to use her debit card in shops and online as this cannot be set up without online banking. 

We feel her (my wife’s) access to banking is unfair and discriminatory. Are we the only ones in this position?

Other than returning to the court of protection to gain deputyship for finance is there anything we can do?


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,311 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    I'm sorry I dont have any idea of an answer 

    Have you spoken to her bank ? 

    Maybe cab can give some help 

    Hopefully other members can help 
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,455 Disability Gamechanger
    Have to agree with the above post, once done you will have a letter from the court to show the bank when you apply for access and looking after your daughter’s financial affairs.
  • duncan_ayre
    duncan_ayre Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks. That is what we thought. But there should be an awful lot of appointees turning to the cop in the next few months. It’s the dwp that should be changing the rules to allow online banking for appointees. 
  • jsmith8899
    jsmith8899 Member Posts: 32 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome 

    I'm sorry I dont have any idea of an answer 

    Have you spoken to her bank ? 

    Maybe cab can give some help 

    Hopefully other members can help 
    My Mum was thinking of doing something along the lines of think its some kind of mandate though it could be to do with my bank where I dont know the ins and outs of it but where a 2nd person at least can have access to someones bank account but they may ask for the person whos bank account it is for their permission I forgot what its called though.

    I think it could be called just that a bank mandate as I just googled it, think there's certain things that can be done like taking complete control of the bank account or just viewing it depending on whats on the form maybe I'm not exactly certain
  • duncan_ayre
    duncan_ayre Member Posts: 3 Listener
    So we have resolved this following advice from citizens advice. 

    So simple. Set up a new bank account under the appointees name. Tell dwp to make payments to this account. Close the old account. 

    Appointee can now access account as if it is her own. No need for visit to family court. Appointee has debit card on new account and can view account online. All our issues resolved. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 9,505 Scope online community team
    Thanks for the update @duncan_ayre :) I'm glad you managed to get it sorted!
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.