PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Has anyone been awarded a new claim recently?

firsttimepipperfirsttimepipper Member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi just a general question to the group,  has anyone been awarded pip with a brand new claim( first time claim) recently, what sort of timescales did it take from start to finish, I know every case is different and some areas take longer than other but just to give people an incite and some idea of the processes  , also has anyone got any experience with regards to their reports like, most people say 9 out of 10 times the decision maker will go with the report , but has anyone received their report and added up enough points to be a pass but then received their decision and its been a decline even though the report shows points awarded.. I think this discussion will just help alot of people with the general anxiety knowing other peoples experiences ( even though as stated about every case is different!!! Just a general discussion.)

Thank you 😊 

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,534 Disability Gamechanger
    You're right every case is different and time scales differ from one area to another although from start to finish you should be looking at months rather than weeks, in the majority of cases the DM will go with the report, after all why would the govt. pay out tens of millions to the likes of atos and capita and then ignore what they say?
    I can understand that the whole process can cause anxiety having been through it myself for pip and ESA.
    @firsttimepipper have you applied?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • firsttimepipperfirsttimepipper Member Posts: 29 Connected
    @woodbine, hi thanks for your reply.. yeah I've applied on the 23rd of November, had my assessment on the 10th of March so 2 weeks ago today, recieved my report last week and I've been given 13 points for daily and 10 for mobility so I'm hoping it goes in my favour,  I think I just keep telling myself even though I've got points my head is still telling me that its not going to work out for me ( very negative mindset) but as of yesterday the whole process has now been 4 months so I could be getting a reply any day now , but just mainly wanted to hear about others processes like alot have said they recieved money before a decision,  its all very interesting and although every case is different was just looking to see how others claims have worked out ,.. some strange way of trying to put my own mind at ease....
    Also whats the score with carers allowance   .. are you entitled to it if your entitled to pip? Do you need to wait to see if your awarded pip before you can claim for it? I've heard you can claim it for yourself is this true also?? Very new to claiming any type of benefit so not sure what I'm entitled to to be honest.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,213

Scope community team

A good way to work out what you might be entitled to is to fill out a benefits calculator @firsttimepipper
    :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,252 Pioneering
    edited March 24
    Also whats the score with carers allowance   .. are you entitled to it if your entitled to pip? Do you need to wait to see if your awarded pip before you can claim for it? I've heard you can claim it for yourself is this true also?? Very new to claiming any type of benefit so not sure what I'm entitled to to be honest.
    Carer's Allowance is payable to somebody who looks after somebody receiving a disability benefit such as PIP. You can't claim CA for looking after yourself.
    There's a benefit checker here https://dwp-benefits-checker.shorthandstories.com/step-1/index.html
    You can check benefit amounts against your circumstances using a benefits calculator https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,534 Disability Gamechanger
    You can expect a DM to take around 8 weeks after he/she gets the report
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @firsttimepipper - as far as Carers Allowance goes, this can be claimed if the carer looks after a person in receipt of certain benefits, including PIP (daily living component), & the care given is for at least 35 hours a week. The carer should usually not have an income of over £128 a week either (after tax, N.I contributions & expenses). Please see:  https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility    also check the section that follows on from this which mentions the effect this can have on other benefits.

So if you have a number of different people who help out every day who claims it? Or do I claim it and split it amongst them?
    @woodbine, yeah I was told up to 8 weeks just wondered how long it actually took for people, like did some hear back in 10-12 weeks , did some hear back in 2-3 weeks?
  • MsFallsAlot83MsFallsAlot83 Member Posts: 16 Connected
    After my phone assessment I was told 6-8wks but I had a phone call for more info after two weeks and then a week later I got my award 
    @firsttimepipper
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,222 Disability Gamechanger
    As far as Carer's Allowance goes, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. First you would have to be awarded the daily living component of PIP in your case. Secondly, as mentioned by @calcotti you can't claim this for yourself, rather another has to provide any care needed. Lastly, altho several people may help you each day, only one could potentially claim Carer's Allowance.
  • PinPin Member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    So if you have a number of different people who help out every day who claims it? Or do I claim it and split it amongst them?
    It only goes to one person and they must be providing you with 35 hours or more of care a week.
    @vikmin83, oh really so if its personal please ignore but what more information could they require 2 weeks later?? So you only had to wait 3 weeks at most, thats good ..when was the award this year?
    @Pin @chiarieds, ok got it, so if I'm awarded daily living then my partner could claim it as she looks after me all day every day.. also does it matter if its standard or enhanced daily living? Thank you.
  • PinPin Member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    @Pin @chiarieds, ok got it, so if I'm awarded daily living then my partner could claim it as she looks after me all day every day.. also does it matter if its standard or enhanced daily living? Thank you.
    Exactly, although it depends on other income and benefits too.
    It's either rate of care that entitles you to it.
    They only wanted to know about my hospital stay I had over Xmas - I now know it was because the assessor didn’t ask the full info and they had to check if any money needed deducting. It was my caseworker that contacted me rather than the assessor. The call was out of the blue but I had the choice to answer about the hospital stay there and then or they could book an appointment to call. 
    They received my application on 21/10/20
    I had my award letter two weeks ago so yes very recent but sadly I was only awarded standard mobility rate so I’m having to appeal. Fellow first timer here too
    @firsttimepipper

• cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 956 Pioneering
    @firsttimepipper  hi there it’s comming up to  1 year since I applied for my award I applied last Feb I had my assessment last July and then got my back pay like a week and half after my assessment. I got the money in my account before my award  letter and my report came weeks after . 

My report said she recommended less time than what I was awarded so I’m glad they didn’t go with the report for the length of the award . I would say my report was pretty accurate to what I was awarded all tho she recommended less time for the award length and they gave me 2 and half years when the report said I should have pip for a year because according to my assessor she thinks my trauma therapy could cure me so that’s why she said that in hopes I would of had my trauma therapy by then . 
    Hope that info helps and best of luck with it all . 
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 956 Pioneering
    I’m dreading my review that can come at any time but it be due like end of the year / start of next year . 
    @vikmin83 thanks for sharing that, had me worried for a second that I may be receiving another dreaded call lol, but i have not been in hospital recently so I'd imagine they have all the info they need from me... ah right so you applied exactly a month pretty much before me so fingers crossed I'll have my decision in the next week or two  , did you work out your own points by getting a report beforehand? Also did the actual award match the amount of points on your report( assuming you asked for your report before you got your decision) sorry for all the questions I'm just all over the place and I feel like talking to others( although every case is different!!) Just helps me along my journey. Thank youu
    @cupcake88 thanks so much for sharing your story, and I hope your review goes well, like I have said in previous posts not only is this thread great for first time pip claimants for info but its helping to rid me of some anxiety so thank you for sharing
    edited March 24
    You’re completely fine ask away.
    I wasn’t aware you could get your report prior to your award tbh 🤦🏼‍♀️ So no I hadn’t looked at my points.
    the phone call was ok and like I say I was given the chance to delay it if I preferred so please don’t worry. I understand the anxiety this process causes I’ve put off applying for two years.
    I hope you will hear very soon 🤞
    @firsttimepipper
    @vikmin83 thanks again for sharing,  oh that is a shame would be interesting to know if the decision maker uses the information on the report to the letter , I k ow I've put off applying g for so long but glad its finally under way just with how long it takes you kick yourself for not doing it sooner!! I hope I hear back soon too I'm rippi g my hair out, I really hope your appeal goes well and hope your doing OK, thanks again.
    Hi @firsttimepipper - yes, If you are awarded the daily living component of PIP, whether the standard rate or enhanced doesn't matter, so either rate, then your partner could claim Carer's Allowance if they care for you for more than 35 hours a week, & if their income is usually less than £128 per week from any job after deductions for any tax, National Insurance contribution, & expenses.
    But this does need to be looked into thoroughly to see if it might benefit you both, as Carer's Allowance is classed as income with any means-tested benefits your carer might have, but don't know if that may be the case.  Please see: https://www.carersuk.org/images/Factsheets/2020-21_factsheets/Carers_Allowance_2020-21_April.pdf

@chiarieds, thanks for your reply, ok that is noted perhaps it may be worth sitting down with my partner and see what she thinks .. like I say with never having claimed benefits in my life I have no idea what I'm doing but everyone always says make sure you get everything your entitled to because you do t want to be left short 
    Are you and/or your partner claiming any other benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    @calcotti , I currently recieve esa, but that is all , unsure of what I am entitled to
    Is that new style ESA or an older Income based ESA claim? Is your partner receiving anything?
    @calcotti, to be honest I'm not sure , I don't know tge difference between them , but I do recall a letter saying something like contribution based? If that makes sense 
    I know it’s hard esp if ur struggling financially. I’m sure u will hear soon, keep the momentum going if u can 🤞
    @firsttimepipper - does you partner receive any benefits as @calcotti asked?
    @calcotti, to be honest I'm not sure , I don't know tge difference between them , but I do recall a letter saying something like contribution based? If that makes sense 
    It’s impossible to give appropriate advice without knowing what you’re existing benefits are for both you and your partner. If you are willing to say how much ESA you get we may be able to deduce what you are on.
    (That’s my last post for tonight)
    @calcotti, sorry I didn't answer the full question, no only other benefit is child benefit , I recieve 148.80 a fortnight
    @vikmin83 yeah its a grooling process  , ill try   best of luck and take care of yourself
    @calcotti, sorry I didn't answer the full question, no only other benefit is child benefit , I recieve 148.80 a fortnight
    I can’t see how that number is arrived at but it’s more than £113.55/week which means that your ESA is likely to be, in part at least, income based. A breakdown of the amount would confirm this. Does your partner live with you and does the ESA include her?
    You said no other benefit. To be clear, what about Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction?
    @calcotti, apologies its 148.70 a fortnight, so 74.35 per week, I'm unsure what you mean when you say you don't know how I've arrived at that number, no the esa does not include my partner , we live separately,  no I do not recieve housing benefit buy do recieve a council tax reduction
    @calcotti, apologies its 148.70 a fortnight, so 74.35 per week,
    Sorry, my fault - early in the day and I didn’t read your post properly!
    So that's the ESA assessment rate - if this is a fairly recent claim in which case it’s new style ESA.
    if you only have your ESA as income how are you paying your rent, bills, Council Tax etc or do you not have housing costs. If you are on a low income with savings below £16,000 there may be other benefits you can claim. Use one of the calculators in the link provided earlier.

As you and your partner do not live together you are separate benefit units. If you are awarded Daily Living PIP they can claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after you and it will not affect your benefits (on the assumption that your ESA is not income based - if it were and you live alone then you would not want them to claim CA). However whether claiming CA is appropriate for your partner will also depend on what benefits (if any) they already receive.

• Carla03Carla03 Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi. Im new here. Im actually worried now. 
    I only had my telephone assessment wed 17th March (last week) and got a text 2 days later saying it was with the DWP and theu would write back to me with a decision within 8 weeks.

Well today i plucked up the courage to ring for a copy of assessors report and the man said "Yes i will do that, but it says on the system they have already made a decision and sent the letter out 2 days ago on wednesday 24th.
    So that means they have made a decision within a week! Im thinking it must be bad news being so quick as know most wait lots longer or at least 2 weeks anyway.

I didnt dare ask the bloke on the phone what the decision was, although im not sure if they are able to. 

Im from Cheshire west area and first submitted my application on the 17th December.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,213

Scope community team

I hope it's a positive outcome for you @Carla03

Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
    Thank you ross. I dont know if iv posted my comment in the right place? Did you see it in the pip forum? Sorry i thought i had but no idea where its ended up now 🙈
    I've had my decision today so its taken 2 weeks so I wouldn't worry about tge amount of time its taken them as my decision was positive
    Oh thanks. Did they tell you how ling it will take till payment?

Also, i dont remember them asking me for my bank details at all. The women who did my assessment asked me if i have a bank account but never asked me my details.

I cant rememeber if theu asked me for them in when i first rang up to apply. 
    edited March 26
    Carla03 said:
    Oh thanks. Did they tell you how ling it will take till payment?

Also, i dont remember them asking me for my bank details at all. The women who did my assessment asked me if i have a bank account but never asked me my details.

I cant rememeber if theu asked me for them in when i first rang up to apply. 
    You will have provided your bank details when you started your claim. The assessor will only have asked about a bank account as part of the assessment of your difficulties.
    Okay Thank you.
    @Carla03, they said they made tge payment on Wednesday so it should clear by Monday 
    @firsttimepipper Aw, glad you are sorted. Thanks for your replies x
Sign in or join us to comment.