Has anyone been awarded a new claim recently? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone been awarded a new claim recently?

firsttimepipper
firsttimepipper Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi just a general question to the group,  has anyone been awarded pip with a brand new claim( first time claim) recently, what sort of timescales did it take from start to finish, I know every case is different and some areas take longer than other but just to give people an incite and some idea of the processes  , also has anyone got any experience with regards to their reports like, most people say 9 out of 10 times the decision maker will go with the report , but has anyone received their report and added up enough points to be a pass but then received their decision and its been a decline even though the report shows points awarded.. I think this discussion will just help alot of people with the general anxiety knowing other peoples experiences ( even though as stated about every case is different!!! Just a general discussion.)

Thank you ? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You're right every case is different and time scales differ from one area to another although from start to finish you should be looking at months rather than weeks, in the majority of cases the DM will go with the report, after all why would the govt. pay out tens of millions to the likes of atos and capita and then ignore what they say?
    I can understand that the whole process can cause anxiety having been through it myself for pip and ESA.
    @firsttimepipper have you applied?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• firsttimepipper
    @woodbine, hi thanks for your reply.. yeah I've applied on the 23rd of November, had my assessment on the 10th of March so 2 weeks ago today, recieved my report last week and I've been given 13 points for daily and 10 for mobility so I'm hoping it goes in my favour,  I think I just keep telling myself even though I've got points my head is still telling me that its not going to work out for me ( very negative mindset) but as of yesterday the whole process has now been 4 months so I could be getting a reply any day now , but just mainly wanted to hear about others processes like alot have said they recieved money before a decision,  its all very interesting and although every case is different was just looking to see how others claims have worked out ,.. some strange way of trying to put my own mind at ease....
  • firsttimepipper
    Also whats the score with carers allowance   .. are you entitled to it if your entitled to pip? Do you need to wait to see if your awarded pip before you can claim for it? I've heard you can claim it for yourself is this true also?? Very new to claiming any type of benefit so not sure what I'm entitled to to be honest.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    A good way to work out what you might be entitled to is to fill out a benefits calculator @firsttimepipper
    :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Also whats the score with carers allowance   .. are you entitled to it if your entitled to pip? Do you need to wait to see if your awarded pip before you can claim for it? I've heard you can claim it for yourself is this true also?? Very new to claiming any type of benefit so not sure what I'm entitled to to be honest.
    Carer's Allowance is payable to somebody who looks after somebody receiving a disability benefit such as PIP. You can't claim CA for looking after yourself.
    There's a benefit checker here https://dwp-benefits-checker.shorthandstories.com/step-1/index.html
    You can check benefit amounts against your circumstances using a benefits calculator https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You can expect a DM to take around 8 weeks after he/she gets the report
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @firsttimepipper - as far as Carers Allowance goes, this can be claimed if the carer looks after a person in receipt of certain benefits, including PIP (daily living component), & the care given is for at least 35 hours a week. The carer should usually not have an income of over £128 a week either (after tax, N.I contributions & expenses). Please see:  https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility    also check the section that follows on from this which mentions the effect this can have on other benefits.

• firsttimepipper
    So if you have a number of different people who help out every day who claims it? Or do I claim it and split it amongst them?
  • firsttimepipper
    @woodbine, yeah I was told up to 8 weeks just wondered how long it actually took for people, like did some hear back in 10-12 weeks , did some hear back in 2-3 weeks?
  • MsFallsAlot83
    MsFallsAlot83 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    After my phone assessment I was told 6-8wks but I had a phone call for more info after two weeks and then a week later I got my award 
    @firsttimepipper
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    As far as Carer's Allowance goes, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. First you would have to be awarded the daily living component of PIP in your case. Secondly, as mentioned by @calcotti you can't claim this for yourself, rather another has to provide any care needed. Lastly, altho several people may help you each day, only one could potentially claim Carer's Allowance.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    So if you have a number of different people who help out every day who claims it? Or do I claim it and split it amongst them?
    It only goes to one person and they must be providing you with 35 hours or more of care a week.
  • firsttimepipper
    @vikmin83, oh really so if its personal please ignore but what more information could they require 2 weeks later?? So you only had to wait 3 weeks at most, thats good ..when was the award this year?
  • firsttimepipper
    @Pin @chiarieds, ok got it, so if I'm awarded daily living then my partner could claim it as she looks after me all day every day.. also does it matter if its standard or enhanced daily living? Thank you.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    @Pin @chiarieds, ok got it, so if I'm awarded daily living then my partner could claim it as she looks after me all day every day.. also does it matter if its standard or enhanced daily living? Thank you.
    Exactly, although it depends on other income and benefits too.
    It's either rate of care that entitles you to it.
  • MsFallsAlot83
    MsFallsAlot83 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    They only wanted to know about my hospital stay I had over Xmas - I now know it was because the assessor didn’t ask the full info and they had to check if any money needed deducting. It was my caseworker that contacted me rather than the assessor. The call was out of the blue but I had the choice to answer about the hospital stay there and then or they could book an appointment to call. 
    They received my application on 21/10/20
    I had my award letter two weeks ago so yes very recent but sadly I was only awarded standard mobility rate so I’m having to appeal. Fellow first timer here too
    @firsttimepipper

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @firsttimepipper  hi there it’s comming up to  1 year since I applied for my award I applied last Feb I had my assessment last July and then got my back pay like a week and half after my assessment. I got the money in my account before my award  letter and my report came weeks after . 

My report said she recommended less time than what I was awarded so I’m glad they didn’t go with the report for the length of the award . I would say my report was pretty accurate to what I was awarded all tho she recommended less time for the award length and they gave me 2 and half years when the report said I should have pip for a year because according to my assessor she thinks my trauma therapy could cure me so that’s why she said that in hopes I would of had my trauma therapy by then . 
    Hope that info helps and best of luck with it all . 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    I’m dreading my review that can come at any time but it be due like end of the year / start of next year . 
  • firsttimepipper
    @vikmin83 thanks for sharing that, had me worried for a second that I may be receiving another dreaded call lol, but i have not been in hospital recently so I'd imagine they have all the info they need from me... ah right so you applied exactly a month pretty much before me so fingers crossed I'll have my decision in the next week or two  , did you work out your own points by getting a report beforehand? Also did the actual award match the amount of points on your report( assuming you asked for your report before you got your decision) sorry for all the questions I'm just all over the place and I feel like talking to others( although every case is different!!) Just helps me along my journey. Thank youu
  • firsttimepipper
    @cupcake88 thanks so much for sharing your story, and I hope your review goes well, like I have said in previous posts not only is this thread great for first time pip claimants for info but its helping to rid me of some anxiety so thank you for sharing

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.