I've moved from ESA to UC, will my 13 waiting period start again? Can I get extra for being a carer? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've moved from ESA to UC, will my 13 waiting period start again? Can I get extra for being a carer?

Options
HJP290
HJP290 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi iv just be awarded LCWRA after swapping of esa to uc i never got the payments for it on esa as never had the assesment before i swapped to uc as my contributions ran out will my 13 waiting period start again

also im a carer for nan in the sense my nan is severly partial sighted and deaf i dnt no any manual csring just make sure takes correct tabs and doesnt burn house down i live with her for this reason 

will i still get the extra money ? 

thanks for any help given 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

You will still get the payment regardless of caring for your nan 

Do you claim the carers element of UC for caring for her 
  • HJP290
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Yes lv but gets canceled out coz i get industrial injurys payment so its 
    409 uc 162 carers then get 370 took off it n leaves me with 210 a month 

thanks 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    If you have been found to have LCWRA then you should get the LCWRA element included but the carer element will be removed because both elements cannot be paid to the same person. The LCWRA element is £343 so you will see a UC increase.

If the decision that you have LCWRA relates back to your original ESA claim then you should now be due arrears of the Support component of ESA from the 14th week of the ESA claim. It also means that you should be treated as having been in the ESA Support Group when you claimed UC which means that you should get he LCWRA element from the start of the UC claim without the three month waiting period. You will be dues arrears of the difference between the LCWRA element and the carer element.

Is your nan getting Pension Credit and a disability benefit and does she live alone?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • HJP290
    Options
    Hi no she isnt on pension credit and i live with her 

and thank you i never recived any money for carers allowence when i was on esa as my my industrial injurys took it off me as was mesns tested benifit 

thanks 

• HJP290
    Options
    She does get disabilty benifit middle mobilty high care thanks 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    Options
    If you are getting Daily Living PIP yourself and it is just the two of you in the house then, depending on her income, it may be worth doing a check with a benefits calculator to see if she has any entitlement to Pension Credit. It is means tested but the calculation can include a Severe Disability Addition if nobody gets Carers Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after her (which you will not be once the LCWRA element is included).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • HJP290
    Options
    I am claiming pip under veiw for higher rate as confition has got alot worse And thank you so much iv never claimed anything before had a accident at work that cause my disabilty i will look into it :) 
  • calcotti
    Options
    I am claiming pip under veiw for higher rate as confition has got alot worse And thank you so much iv never claimed anything before had a accident at work that cause my disabilty i will look into it :) 
    So, if you are the only two people in the house, as you both have disability benefit the calculation of any Pension Credit entitlement for nan would include Severe Disability Addition once you are no longer receiving carer element of UC. Whether or not there is any entitlement will depend on her other income and savings.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.