UC, LCWRA and state pension — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC, LCWRA and state pension

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
Just wondering about these things, though they don’t affect me for a while yet. Currently I get UC and LCWRA. What happens when I get a state pension?
Thankyou

Comments

• Leigh14
    Options
    Can I have the above post deleted please. Thankyou.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I'm not 100% sure but they are both benefits linked to unemployment or low earnings or being unfit for workn so I would imagine they will stop when you become personable age 

Hopefully other members can give you more advice 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou @janer1967. I think I read if you’re on PIP before pension age, then it’s carried over. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes that's correct if you already have a PIP award in place that goes beyond retirement age then you retain the award 

The only thing is that if you dont already get mobility part you cant get this part or get an increased award for mobility once retirement age but you keep it at current rate if you already have it 

Hope that makes sense 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Yes that makes sense, thankyou. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For UC depends whether you are single or part of a couple.

if single, UC ends when you reach pension age. As a pensioner you may be able to claim Pension Credit and if you need help with rent have to claim Housing Benefit.

if you have a partner who is younger than you then you remain on UC but the UC payable will be reduced by your pension income.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou calcotti. Very useful information to know.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.