Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I'm giving my daughter a deposit so that we can move into a new house. Will this affect my benefits?

SardarSardar Member Posts: 1 Listener
hi 
I am selling my house and giving my daughter a deposit so that we can move into another house because we have very bad memories here .
She has arranged a mortgage and I'm give her £130.000 towards the house after my mortgage is paid of,I'm disabled will this effect my benefits I will not have any money left over .
Please advice 
Thank you 
Tagged:

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Dont understand all this are you selling your house and buying another one for you as well as giving your daughter the deposit? 

The deposit to your daughter may be considered as getting rid of capital in order to continue to claim benefits but I'm not an expert and may be wrong 

You need some expert advice I would suggest you contact welfare rights 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,235 Pioneering
    Are any of your benefits means tested? If so giving money to your daughter will probably be seen as deprivation of capital in which case you will be treated as if you still have have that money. If that is more than £16,000 your entitlement to means tested benefits will end.
    Every case has to be looked at by a Decision Maker. If you want certainty you need to contact DWP, explain what you are proposing to do and ask for a decision in advance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,637 Disability Gamechanger
    Totally depends on the benefits you currently receive but there's a strong and straightforward argument as to why this would not be treated as deprivation of capital and that is because you've come on here and asked the question.

Anyone who asks a question about what the impact would be presumably has no clue about what the impact would be. Therefore the decision to do what you're doing clearly cannot possibly have been made with a view to either claiming; maintaining or increasing your entitlements. 

Personally I would stop discussing the matter publicly right now and print off a copy of this thread for safe-keeping as it would be a useful piece of evidence, especially if it's clear on what date you posted and were replied to. 
Sign in or join us to comment.