I'm giving my daughter a deposit so that we can move into a new house. Will this affect my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm giving my daughter a deposit so that we can move into a new house. Will this affect my benefits?

Options
Sardar
Sardar Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi 
I am selling my house and giving my daughter a deposit so that we can move into another house because we have very bad memories here .
She has arranged a mortgage and I'm give her £130.000 towards the house after my mortgage is paid of,I'm disabled will this effect my benefits I will not have any money left over .
Please advice 
Thank you 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Dont understand all this are you selling your house and buying another one for you as well as giving your daughter the deposit? 

The deposit to your daughter may be considered as getting rid of capital in order to continue to claim benefits but I'm not an expert and may be wrong 

You need some expert advice I would suggest you contact welfare rights 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are any of your benefits means tested? If so giving money to your daughter will probably be seen as deprivation of capital in which case you will be treated as if you still have have that money. If that is more than £16,000 your entitlement to means tested benefits will end.
    Every case has to be looked at by a Decision Maker. If you want certainty you need to contact DWP, explain what you are proposing to do and ask for a decision in advance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.