My son has been told he'll now have to claim UC. Can he not stay on ESA and claim HB? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has been told he'll now have to claim UC. Can he not stay on ESA and claim HB?

xxgaynorxx
xxgaynorxx Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi. My son has been under mental health Act since 2013 and is currently due to leave residential care to live independently. Whilst in care he was only entitled to ESA. No SDP or living element of PIP. (Which he gets high for both).
So he has just signed for his new tenancy which is 100 yards down the road from his residential.
He has now been told he has to claim UC and he won't get SDP. 
The flat is a mess and the only grant he got was a fridge and a bed.  
Can he not stay on ESA and claim HB? And is there any other help he can receive. Tia. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    I take it he does not get Housing Benefit now.

New claims for Housing Benefit are not possible (except for a few specific types of accommodation).

He can, if he can afford it, move into the new property on his existing ESA. Get the PIP Daily Living reinstated, then notify ESA and ask for the SDP to be added to ESA (assuming he will be living alone and no one claims Carer’s Allowance or carer element of UC for looking after him). If he then claims UC he will be entitled to the SDP transitional element in his UC claim (an extra £120/month).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.