Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


xxgaynorxxxxgaynorxx Member Posts: 30 Connected
Hi. My daughter has been in hospitals and supported residential 24hr care since 2013.
Its been decided (reluctantly) to give her a chance in the community and to have her own tenancy with outreach support.
She has now been offered a flat and is really excited.
Reality is.......Its a mess!  OK we can all chip in with some painting and decorating etc.
The council have given her a bed and a fridge only!
There are floor boards (old style) throughout the flat and it would desperately need carpets before she moves in. (Which is roughly TWO weeks).
Are there any charities that would supply flooring??? Her social worker is struggling. (He's not much good tbh).
Her doctor has said she can't move in till its carpeted yet her rent has to be paid.
Its a difficult situation and any help would be appreciated. We are not asking for Axminster just basics. Thankyou. 


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    We see this all the time and unfortunately that is the case with social housing 

    There are no such grants I am aware of . If she claims UC she may be able to get a loan from DWP but will need to be paid back out of her payments 

    Look on gum tree or Ebay as some sell off cheap or carpet stores have off cuts 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,059

    Scope community team

    Hi @xxgaynorxx

    I hope your daughter gets some carpet sorted soon.  In addition to the above, you could try entering her details into this Grants Checker to see if she is eligible to apply for any grants from charitable organisations.  

    While, your council's Local Welfare Provision might be something else to enquire about.  If you visit this Shelter 'Cash in a crisis' webpage and scroll down to 'Emergency financial help' there's a box to enter your postcode in to find out details of your council's scheme. 

    Good luck and please let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.