Grants? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grants?

xxgaynorxx
xxgaynorxx Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
Hi. My daughter has been in hospitals and supported residential 24hr care since 2013.
Its been decided (reluctantly) to give her a chance in the community and to have her own tenancy with outreach support.
She has now been offered a flat and is really excited.
Reality is.......Its a mess!  OK we can all chip in with some painting and decorating etc.
The council have given her a bed and a fridge only!
There are floor boards (old style) throughout the flat and it would desperately need carpets before she moves in. (Which is roughly TWO weeks).
Are there any charities that would supply flooring??? Her social worker is struggling. (He's not much good tbh).
Her doctor has said she can't move in till its carpeted yet her rent has to be paid.
Its a difficult situation and any help would be appreciated. We are not asking for Axminster just basics. Thankyou. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

We see this all the time and unfortunately that is the case with social housing 

There are no such grants I am aware of . If she claims UC she may be able to get a loan from DWP but will need to be paid back out of her payments 

Look on gum tree or Ebay as some sell off cheap or carpet stores have off cuts 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @xxgaynorxx

I hope your daughter gets some carpet sorted soon.  In addition to the above, you could try entering her details into this Grants Checker to see if she is eligible to apply for any grants from charitable organisations.  

While, your council's Local Welfare Provision might be something else to enquire about.  If you visit this Shelter 'Cash in a crisis' webpage and scroll down to 'Emergency financial help' there's a box to enter your postcode in to find out details of your council's scheme. 

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness