Big Toe Fusion and Osteoarthritis starting in the knee — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Big Toe Fusion and Osteoarthritis starting in the knee

dave5522
dave5522 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,
New to this forum and looking for advice. I had big toe arthritis (hallux rigidus) for about 10 years and 6 years ago had big toe fusion surgery. Since I had the surgery I have went from 40 hours a week working to 24 hours now. Because of my job which is warehousing I was walking a lot in a shift and doing heavy job roles. My work has arranged for me to have a break every 2 hours, buying £40 insoles every year and putting me on restricted duties. After my shift my foot is in pain and swelling so need to keep my foot up and take pain killers which is what I don't want to be doing. I have had physical therapy because off the start of arthritis in my knee and have bad balance and flexible on leg with the toe fusion. I wear wide fitting special shoe when not at work but have got be carefully how long I walk for and what surface I am walking on. With my balance problems and pain in my foot my wife helps me with dressing and support when needed. I need to work and if I was to look for a another job who is to say I would be given the help my employer gives me now. 
Have had a look at https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system to see how many point I would get but its does ask about my changes I have to make to get by.
So what I am asking is would I have a case to apply for PIP. Any help or advice would great. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry to hear of your struggles 

Nobody on here can really say if you would get a pi0 award as we dont see you on a daily basis 

Mobility is just one part of PIP but as you walk ar work doing a full shift I would suggest you wouldn't get the mobility part 

Daily living is about about daily tasks like washing , toileting , preparing food,  nutrition , communication   finances reading and so on 

So it depends how you are affected 
  • dave5522
    dave5522 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for getting back to me janer1967. Having a good look into arthritis and PIP it seem hard to get a successful award. The daily living part has some task which I need support and will only get harder as I get older. I just wish it had more questions about how mobility affects you through the day.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I know but basically the mobility is just about if you can walk any distance or if you need assistance to undertake a journey 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.