Disability benefits and inheritance. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disability benefits and inheritance.

Cc90 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everybody, I hope somebody is able to help me with a query I have, thanks in advance!

My older brother is autistic and receives full support for his condition. He has his own flat via a housing association and receives ESA payments in order to live day to day. My aging mother is a little concerned and confused as to what happens to her money that she is leaving to my brother through inheritance. So my question is, if he receives ~50 thousand will he have to give that straight to the state before eventually receiving support again when the money is all used up or is he allowed to hold these savings gifted to him? Is there a trust that can be set up to allow him to have this money in his name?



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.