ESA and permitted work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA and permitted work

crashed Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been on ESA for 3 years due to severe anxiety, agoraphobia and depersonalisation. I've been lucky that after 3 years of NHS mental health services and medicines failing, I was able to obtain a prescription from a private doctor for medical cannabis and I'm finally starting to get my head sorted. My question is...

I would like to start trying to do some self employment work. Its quite trivial, answering surveys and completing simple tasks on my computer. Not so much for the money, I just feel ready to try and get some routine back after not leaving the house for years, I feel it for me it could assist in my recovery at this stage in my illness... thinking about the future and how I now see my health improving it just seems like something I want to try. Earnings would be around £30-60 a week max.

Thing is, I dont trust the DWP. I'm terrified they will see the mere suggestion as a trigger for an assessment and every assessment puts me back at least 3 months in my mental health, I usually even stop contacting family for months after an assessment it makes me so ill. I feel like it's a catch 22, I want to answer surveys online as a type of pretend work, in exchange for not much, but its still an income and therefore work.

How likely is this to trigger an assessment, because I don't even know how ill cope with this goal I've set myself, I dont want to trigger assessments and the DWP when I don't actually know how it will turn out or even if I can cope with it once I try it.




Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.