Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Have your say about your online community! Complete our annual survey.

Do you think the country will be back to normal by the summer

Tree1Tree1 Member Posts: 11 Listener

Do you think the country will be back to normal by the summer 20 votes

Yes
0%
No
90%
forgoodnesssakeleeCalAmi2301deb74woodbinejaner1967vikingqueenOverlyAnxiousscotleaglittleacornCher_ScopeTori_Scopelisathomas50salfordgirl4321lmcarthurWelshjayne2021fluffycatmcake66 18 votes
Maybe
10%
Ross_ScopeAnomalous123 2 votes

Replies

• Caz_ScopeCaz_Scope Scope community team Posts: 276 Pioneering
    Good question @Tree1

I think there's still so much hanging the balance that I wouldn't like to place bets on the country being back to 'normal' by the summer, or indeed anytime soon.

And, of course, it all depends on what we each define as 'normal'?
    Online Community Coordinator

Take part in our annual survey and let us know how we can improve your community experience.
  • Tree1Tree1 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    I totally agree with you on the poll
  • Welshjayne2021Welshjayne2021 Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    No
    I think it will be a couple of years before we see any sort of normality.  I feel people will be apprehensive about getting back to what they were used to do before Covid 19.  There is still too much uncertainty.  We will have to play it by ear for some time yet.
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,259 Disability Gamechanger
    No
    I agree, I don’t think we’ll be back to normal by next summer either. The virus is global after all.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member [under moderation] Posts: 3,602 Disability Gamechanger
    No
    I think it will be five years or more before we see fewer cases and when the virus runs its course and gets to weak to do anymore serious harm 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,778 Disability Gamechanger
    Three to five years but realistically this is now the age of the pandemic. This is just the first.
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 742 Pioneering
    No
    I am not holding my breath about things getting back to normal any time soon. Some experts have said it will never go away completely and just like flu and we will ail have to have boosters every year. 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 644 Pioneering
    edited April 11
    Personally I wouldn’t imagine everyone getting a booster every year. It would take too long and many resources. I think it would be more like the flu jab and offered to only specific groups. 

Edited - I should be more specific and say, the flu jab is offered free to specific groups! 
    Er, the flu jab is available to the whole population. It’s just free to different priority groups each year. There’s little to zero point in any vaccine if it’s not available for everyone. 
    I think you knew what I meant though. 
    The plan is very clearly for boosters for all each year. No idea how anyone would conclude differently. Sure there will be priority groups but the plan remains for all. 
    Plans change as well you know. 

I expressed my opinion on what will happen. 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Scope community team Posts: 3,125 Disability Gamechanger
    No
    Plans do change you're right @MarkN88 I did a little reading about this and the British Medical Journal published this quote from Anthony Harnden, Deputy Chair of the Vaccine Advisory Committee just recently:
    “I suspect it’s going to be likely that we’re going to require an annual boost for a while,” he said. “It just depends on the length of duration of protection. The virus mutates, [but it] probably doesn’t mutate as much or as quickly as the influenza virus, so it’s very difficult to predict whether this is going to be an annual vaccine or for how many years.
    “But I certainly think it’s going to be a booster shot this year.”
    So I imagine it's a case of monitoring the efficacy of vaccines and the covid stats as we proceed into future years.

Back to the OP's question, I can barely remember what normal was like now unfortunately.  And I agree with @Caz_Scope, how do we define it?!  I think we'll be in a period of flux for a good year or so yet but hopefully, the worst is over now.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Take part in our annual survey and let us know how we can improve your community experience.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,535 Disability Gamechanger
    No
    I don't see a return to normal by the summer, I know that my daughter has been told they will continue to work from home until late September, sadly there is so much that can go wrong between now and June, and of course the big question will be what is the new normal?
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
    As it stands there’s zero evidence that any vaccine provides immunity beyond 8 months at most. Many people genuinely don’t understand that the vaccine does not prevent C19 and that social distancing and masks will be the new normal. If not then the r rate soars again and may do so even with all these things in place.

You also have to remember that the reason there’s no cure is that vaccines were trusted to private companies whose main interest is profit. They simply wouldn’t have produced any vaccine if it was about a cure and absolutely wouldn’t even have taken part of there was no prospect of ongoing profit via boosters. 

So, yeah, things change but there are scientific and profit related reasons for why boosters will be with us for years on this.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member [under moderation] Posts: 3,602 Disability Gamechanger
    No
    All I can say is that we will just have to see personally I think k we will be back in lockdown by June  sorry just my opinion x
    edited April 11
    I think it’ll take a little longer Lisa if only because they’re desperate; know it’s coming and want people to get a holiday first even though that will actually make it worse.
    No
    Scientists think we will be in the third wave by May Mike  they are still testing to see if the vacination will cover all variants  no one has ever been immune to the flu no one has built up an immunity  against the common cold all these are types of corona virus 

Only time will tell but I think before the hight of the summer we will be back in lockdown to much is being done to soon in my opinion 

Only way to keep safe is mask distance wash hands  I value your opinion though Mike  I personally  belive that the corona virus will run its 4 year course and weaken its self to the point where a yearly vacine like the flu will be done a pandemic usually runs its course in roughly 4 years 

I dont think enough is known about the corona virus yet to know fully how it runs I belive it will be something we will be liveing with for years to come and I belive wearing masks and distancing and hand washing / sanatiser  will also be the new norm but as I say only time will tell 
    Washing hands is increasingly irrelevant. Sensible anyway but we now know it was largely irrelevant to combatting an airborne virus. Important to remember that masks ate not to protect you but to protect others. That message seems to have been lost too. 

Not sure where your 4 years is coming from. Spanish Flu was months but the impact was still being felt up to 1968. AIDS is still with us 40 years later and has done anything but run its course. 

One of the big misunderstandings on C19 so that it will eventually weaken and will do so fairly quickly, That would be true if we’d aimed for eradication and closed borders but we didn’t. The variants which have emerged have done so precisely because we still have this stupid belief in herd immunity. The variants have largely emerged from countries which went for herd immunity and let the thing run rampant by acting too slowly or not at all eg Brazil or South Africa. 

Actually we know loads about corona viruses but private companies have no financial incentive to find a cure when they charge for it year on year and C19 operates very differently to flu or the common cold. I personally think the Bradykinin hypothesis is likely to throw up the best outcomes but we’ll see. 

As regards the return of lockdowns i hear what you’re saying but the government has a years worth of history of acting slowly and we now know roughly how extra many people died in consequence. The knowledge of that has yet to serve to speed them up so I think there’s several forces at work:

1 - Tory grandees will fight tooth and nail against anything which looks like a step backwards.
    2 - Sunak wants to be PM. It’ll never happen if the economy doesn’t reopen soon so he’s also going to resist the data and the science.
    3 - they have acted too slowly every step of the way.
    4 - they know people will accept another lockdown more if we have a Summer out and then lockdown in Autumn when the nights grow darker etc.
    No
    Sorry Mike what I meant about running its course is where it's at it's strongest which it could be at it's strongest for 4 years 

I dont belive in herd immunity  if that was the case they wouldnt need an annual vacination for the flu and people still get the flu even if they are vaccinated there will always be epidemics or pandemics  looking at statistics aids has caused more deaths than covid 19  

As you say Mike aids is still here there are lots of other illness that has caused more deaths than corona virus  I would expect aids to be higher as that is a bodily contact disease want for  a better word 

As you say Mike a mask is to prevent you passing it to someone else  corona virus attacks the vital organs and cells and breaks down the immune system I have had an antibody test done and  I havent built up any antibodies against the corona virus even though I have  had it more than once  I have lupus I havent had a flu vacination because my dr said there would be no point as my body would reject it and cause my body to fight against its self 

The point someone made on the corona virus group wales was what long term affects does the vaccination  have on the body I don't know if that is or will become an issue only time will tell I suppose 
  • fluffycatfluffycat Member Posts: 66 Connected
    No
    Once pubs open many people will lose their heads and gord knows what will happen!

With a hint of lockdown last Spring, nighttime places were heaving, so it had to be lockdown (to be strict) though it spilled out to parks with huge gatherings. (Takeaway alcohol was creating huge gatherings as well)

Lately people are partying on the street and huge swathes of empty cans n bottles dotted about. 
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 742 Pioneering
    edited April 12
    No
    Unfortunately I think @lisathomas50 is right. Not sure how soon we will be back in lockdown but I don't think it will be long. Relaxing the rules too soon again will cause more deaths as it has done each time we have come out of lockdown. @fluffycat is right about the gatherings. This has been happening a lot in Cardiff. There is always going to ignorant (Removed by moderator, word may cause offence) who don't care about other people and what damage they cause. As for the rubbish it is awful. The one thing I have noticed lately though is all the masks that have been dumped everywhere.

I dont belive in herd immunity  if that was the case they wouldnt need an annual vacination for the flu and people still get the flu even if they are vaccinated there will always be epidemics or pandemics  looking at statistics aids has caused more deaths than covid 19  

The point someone made on the corona virus group wales was what long term affects does the vaccination  have on the body I don't know if that is or will become an issue only time will tell I suppose 
    I think this may be a misunderstanding of herd immunity. Herd immunity isn’t necessarily about total eradication. It’s about getting the r rate well below one by reducing severity. The reason we still need an annual vaccination for flu is partly because the numbers who take part are far below what would be needed for herd immunity. However, even if there was 95% take-up of the flu jab we’d still need an annual jab because of the travel of variants. The need for a booster does not in itself suggest herd immunity doesn’t work. 

The reintroduction of international travel poses a risk of a flu epidemic as much as the next wave of C19 because it will once again allow the migration of flu variants from south to north. 

I think the second point about long term impacts is the sort of question people pose when all rationality has gone out the window. 

How long is “long term”? Is it 1 year, 5 years, a decade? Most vaccines go through 4 years of testing and that’s deemed long enough to establish most impacts. Nothing however is perfect. Even then longer term impacts could develop. To the best of my knowledge we’ve never yet delayed longer than 4 years unless issues were already showing. With vaccines set loose after a year then yes there may be some concerns but the testing will still catch most and compared to the risks from C19 and post viral long C19 the long term risks are negligible to nil. 

Some people want the risk from everything to literally be nil but life and science doesn’t work like that.
    No
    I saw today Mike that the scientists are worried about a couple of the variants cant remember the three numbers that were involved I think personally there is a long way to go yet  

Today in wales there has been no new deaths and only 50 new cases I am holding my judgement and see where we are in 4 weeks time now things are opening up again 
    No
    If I am remembering it correctly Mike havent we been below one in the R rate and went back up 

Repeatedly. However, whilst the national r number is important local ones are critical. Hot spots can’t be ignored although bravo the government for trying.   
    No
    Where I live was on local lockdown not long after we came out the first lockdown  then we had the Welsh firebreak then not long after thst another lockdown I would hope they had learn't  from all that  but we will see within the next four weeks where we are 
    edited April 14
    No
    Note from moderator: this post may contain unverified claims regarding side-effects of COVID-19 vaccines. You can find recognised side-effects of the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines on the respective gov.uk pages linked.

Mike have you seen the news about the vacine and what's in it 
  • fluffycatfluffycat Member Posts: 66 Connected
    No
    The scenes in London Soho were manic. (Other places too on the news)
    Hopefully the vaccine takes up slack though probably unvaccinated youngsters out on the razzle. 

Mike have you seen the news about the vacine and what's in it 
    Nope. Been working. 
    edited April 14
    No
    Note from moderator: this post may contain unverified claims regarding side-effects of COVID-19 vaccines. You can find recognised side-effects of the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines on the respective gov.uk pages linked.

Dr  Mike Yeadon online it is saying about the first vacination 
    No
    @fluffycat only time will tell 
    Dr  Mike Yeadon online it is saying about the first vacination 
    No idea what he’s saying @lisathomas50 but he’s well known on the lunatic fringe she to be honest I would disregard pretty much everything he says.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 7,476 Disability Gamechanger
    Information about the different vaccines (& what's in them) is available on the Government's website See: https://www.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/pharmacy  scrolling down to 'News and communications' for info on the AstraZeneca, Pfizer & Moderna vaccines.
    Michael Yeadon, a former vice-president of Pfizer, is debunked in this report:
    I hope Scope continue to ensure correct info is given at all times in reference to the Covid-19 vaccines.
    No
    @chiarieds I wanted Mike's opinion I didn't disclose exactly what was being said I thought the same as Mike when I saw it  as I had already said to Mike what was being said on the Welsh corona virus group then what I said to Mike came up thats all I wasn't giving information I was asking 
    No
    I think Mike alot of people have gone like that since it all started but its like everything else only time will tell 
    chiarieds said:
    Information about the different vaccines (& what's in them) is available on the Government's website See: https://www.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/pharmacy  scrolling down to 'News and communications' for info on the AstraZeneca, Pfizer & Moderna vaccines.
    Michael Yeadon, a former vice-president of Pfizer, is debunked in this report:
    I hope Scope continue to ensure correct info is given at all times in reference to the Covid-19 vaccines.
    I would endorse all of this really. It’s very much not a case of “only time will tell” @lisathomas50. The man is demonstrably wrong and no-one should be afraid of saying that and calling out people who believe otherwise. 

At this point people tend to cry out about being entitled to their opinion. Well yes, but you’re not “entitled” to be stupid in the face of demonstrable, replicable science which proves that your opinion is wrong. He is wrong so let’s just say that and move on. 

Science is only right until it’s proved wrong but people like him ignore the fact that science has already shown that they’re wrong. 

Actually, people like him are not just wrong. They are dangerously wrong. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 7,476 Disability Gamechanger
    Apologies for posting. I didn't say you were giving info, nor did I even tag you. My only concern is that I don't want people to lose confidence in the Covid-19 vaccines, especially due to someone like Michael Yeadon, whom you drew attention to.
    No
    @chiarieds apologies  mike whst I meant in only time will tell wasn't specifically about Mike Yeadon I should of worded it properly I meant all of what's happening 

Already in wales today tuesday cases have risen to 69 new cases  up from 50 cases on Monday today Tuesday 2 deaths in wales  up from no deaths on Monday  so apologies  for my wording Mike 

Thats why I asked  sorry Mike 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Scope community team Posts: 3,125 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 14
    No
    @lisathomas50 I've added an advisory note to some of your posts above, linking to official sources relating to the covid vaccines.  This is to avoid people searching Mike Yeadon and being unnecessarily alarmed by his unproven allegations.

Although I know there was no ill-intent, please be mindful to not draw attention to non evidence-based assertions that could deter people from having the vaccine.  As the majority of our members our disabled, and particularly vulnerable to covid-19, it's important people are informed by only that which is factually correct.  Thank you.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

No
    @Cher_Scope sorry you can remove the post if you want I was just trying to get clarification from Mike as I knew he would know 
    This is to avoid people searching Mike Yeadon and being unnecessarily alarmed by his unproven allegations.
    With all due respect I find statements like this cowardly and they contribute to the idea that any opinion can be presented as fact even when it patently isn’t. He hasn’t made “unproven allegations”. He’s made a series of allegations and each one can and has been refuted in full. 

I’m no fan of Wikipedia but try reading this and then tell anyone here he’s made “unproven allegations”. That’s not what he’s done at all. Every allegation of his is totally proven... as incorrect.
  • OxonladyOxonlady Member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Hi everyone, the original question for this particular thread was "do you think we'll all be back to normal by the summer?
    The bulk of the conversation is now arguments about the vaccine. 
    I just wanted to say, I can't even remember what it's like to have a "normal" life. I've been housebound for around seven years now, mostly due to deteriorating health but also because Social Services have reduced my hours by so much that there's no time for my carer for escort me even on a weekly outing. So for me, the "lockdown" will continue. It's like a prison sentence. I'm trying my best to stay sane and strong but I can't really see any light at the end of the tunnel... Vaccine or no vaccine... 

Sign in or join us to comment.