Do you think the country will be back to normal by the summer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think the country will be back to normal by the summer

Options
Tree1
Tree1 Community member Posts: 23 Listener

Do you think the country will be back to normal by the summer 20 votes

Yes
0%
No
90%
forgoodnesssakeleeCalAmi2301deb74woodbinejaner1967vikingqueenOverlyAnxious[Deleted User]littleacornCher_AlumniTori_ScopeLisatho11987777salfordgirl4321lmcarthurWelshjayne2021fluffycatmcake66 18 votes
Maybe
10%
Ross_AlumniAnomalous123 2 votes

Comments

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Good question @Tree1

I think there's still so much hanging the balance that I wouldn't like to place bets on the country being back to 'normal' by the summer, or indeed anytime soon.

And, of course, it all depends on what we each define as 'normal'?
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tree1
    Tree1 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
    Options
    I totally agree with you on the poll
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
    No
    I think it will be a couple of years before we see any sort of normality.  I feel people will be apprehensive about getting back to what they were used to do before Covid 19.  There is still too much uncertainty.  We will have to play it by ear for some time yet.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No
    I agree, I don’t think we’ll be back to normal by next summer either. The virus is global after all.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No
    I think it will be five years or more before we see fewer cases and when the virus runs its course and gets to weak to do anymore serious harm 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    No
    I am not holding my breath about things getting back to normal any time soon. Some experts have said it will never go away completely and just like flu and we will ail have to have boosters every year. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Personally I wouldn’t imagine everyone getting a booster every year. It would take too long and many resources. I think it would be more like the flu jab and offered to only specific groups. 

Edited - I should be more specific and say, the flu jab is offered free to specific groups! 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    I think you knew what I meant though. 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    Plans change as well you know. 

I expressed my opinion on what will happen. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No
    Plans do change you're right @MarkN88 I did a little reading about this and the British Medical Journal published this quote from Anthony Harnden, Deputy Chair of the Vaccine Advisory Committee just recently:
    “I suspect it’s going to be likely that we’re going to require an annual boost for a while,” he said. “It just depends on the length of duration of protection. The virus mutates, [but it] probably doesn’t mutate as much or as quickly as the influenza virus, so it’s very difficult to predict whether this is going to be an annual vaccine or for how many years.
    “But I certainly think it’s going to be a booster shot this year.”
    So I imagine it's a case of monitoring the efficacy of vaccines and the covid stats as we proceed into future years.

Back to the OP's question, I can barely remember what normal was like now unfortunately.  And I agree with @Caz_Scope, how do we define it?!  I think we'll be in a period of flux for a good year or so yet but hopefully, the worst is over now.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No
    I don't see a return to normal by the summer, I know that my daughter has been told they will continue to work from home until late September, sadly there is so much that can go wrong between now and June, and of course the big question will be what is the new normal?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    No
    All I can say is that we will just have to see personally I think k we will be back in lockdown by June  sorry just my opinion x
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    No
    Scientists think we will be in the third wave by May Mike  they are still testing to see if the vacination will cover all variants  no one has ever been immune to the flu no one has built up an immunity  against the common cold all these are types of corona virus 

Only time will tell but I think before the hight of the summer we will be back in lockdown to much is being done to soon in my opinion 

Only way to keep safe is mask distance wash hands  I value your opinion though Mike  I personally  belive that the corona virus will run its 4 year course and weaken its self to the point where a yearly vacine like the flu will be done a pandemic usually runs its course in roughly 4 years 

I dont think enough is known about the corona virus yet to know fully how it runs I belive it will be something we will be liveing with for years to come and I belive wearing masks and distancing and hand washing / sanatiser  will also be the new norm but as I say only time will tell 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    No
    Sorry Mike what I meant about running its course is where it's at it's strongest which it could be at it's strongest for 4 years 

I dont belive in herd immunity  if that was the case they wouldnt need an annual vacination for the flu and people still get the flu even if they are vaccinated there will always be epidemics or pandemics  looking at statistics aids has caused more deaths than covid 19  

As you say Mike aids is still here there are lots of other illness that has caused more deaths than corona virus  I would expect aids to be higher as that is a bodily contact disease want for  a better word 

As you say Mike a mask is to prevent you passing it to someone else  corona virus attacks the vital organs and cells and breaks down the immune system I have had an antibody test done and  I havent built up any antibodies against the corona virus even though I have  had it more than once  I have lupus I havent had a flu vacination because my dr said there would be no point as my body would reject it and cause my body to fight against its self 

The point someone made on the corona virus group wales was what long term affects does the vaccination  have on the body I don't know if that is or will become an issue only time will tell I suppose 
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Options
    No
    Once pubs open many people will lose their heads and gord knows what will happen!

With a hint of lockdown last Spring, nighttime places were heaving, so it had to be lockdown (to be strict) though it spilled out to parks with huge gatherings. (Takeaway alcohol was creating huge gatherings as well)

Lately people are partying on the street and huge swathes of empty cans n bottles dotted about. 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Options
    No
    Unfortunately I think @lisathomas50 is right. Not sure how soon we will be back in lockdown but I don't think it will be long. Relaxing the rules too soon again will cause more deaths as it has done each time we have come out of lockdown. @fluffycat is right about the gatherings. This has been happening a lot in Cardiff. There is always going to ignorant (Removed by moderator, word may cause offence) who don't care about other people and what damage they cause. As for the rubbish it is awful. The one thing I have noticed lately though is all the masks that have been dumped everywhere.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    No
    I saw today Mike that the scientists are worried about a couple of the variants cant remember the three numbers that were involved I think personally there is a long way to go yet  

Today in wales there has been no new deaths and only 50 new cases I am holding my judgement and see where we are in 4 weeks time now things are opening up again 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    No
    If I am remembering it correctly Mike havent we been below one in the R rate and went back up 

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    No
    Where I live was on local lockdown not long after we came out the first lockdown  then we had the Welsh firebreak then not long after thst another lockdown I would hope they had learn't  from all that  but we will see within the next four weeks where we are 
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Options
    No
    The scenes in London Soho were manic. (Other places too on the news)
    Hopefully the vaccine takes up slack though probably unvaccinated youngsters out on the razzle. 

Brightness