What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Benefit and council tax

Hoping someone can help.
I am in receipt of pip Standard Care plus Enhanced Mobility.
I was until recently in receipt of IR Esa ( Support Group) which included top up premiums...
However, due to a change in circumstances I contacted the DWP informing them of changes.
Dwp changed my benefit to contribution ESA £ 227.10 this includes support component of £39.00 paid every two weeks

I had previously been in receipt of £395.20 every two weeks.So a fair drop In benefits.
My pip has not changed.
I have recently received my council tax bill. 
This states No payment required. Not sure if I need to inform them of changes or do the DWP automatically do this having already been informed of a change in circumstances.
I am a home owner so no rent or mortgage to pay......
Any guidance on this matter would be much appreciated.
Thank you


  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,516 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to inform your council of any changes e.g change in income/benefits or savings.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • superbirdfrostysuperbirdfrosty Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you Woodbine, 
    Much appreciated...
    Kind Regards
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,217 Pioneering
    When you got income based ESA you were probably automatically entitled to maximum Council tax Support under your local authority scheme. If you now only get contribution based ESA the council will need to carry out an assessment of your entitlement and it may be that you will now have to pay some or all of your Council Tax liability.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.