Benefit and council tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefit and council tax

superbirdfrosty
superbirdfrosty Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi,
Hoping someone can help.
I am in receipt of pip Standard Care plus Enhanced Mobility.
I was until recently in receipt of IR Esa ( Support Group) which included top up premiums...
However, due to a change in circumstances I contacted the DWP informing them of changes.
Dwp changed my benefit to contribution ESA £ 227.10 this includes support component of £39.00 paid every two weeks

I had previously been in receipt of £395.20 every two weeks.So a fair drop In benefits.
My pip has not changed.
I have recently received my council tax bill. 
This states No payment required. Not sure if I need to inform them of changes or do the DWP automatically do this having already been informed of a change in circumstances.
I am a home owner so no rent or mortgage to pay......
Any guidance on this matter would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Superbirdfrosty

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to inform your council of any changes e.g change in income/benefits or savings.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• superbirdfrosty
    superbirdfrosty Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you Woodbine, 
    Much appreciated...
    Kind Regards
    Superbirdfrosty 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    When you got income based ESA you were probably automatically entitled to maximum Council tax Support under your local authority scheme. If you now only get contribution based ESA the council will need to carry out an assessment of your entitlement and it may be that you will now have to pay some or all of your Council Tax liability.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.