Advice needed on a joint uc please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Advice needed on a joint uc please

perpetualthoughts Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, quick query about our uc claim. 
Joint claim, partner receives the element for unfit for working. I’m sorry I can’t remember what’s it’s called. 
He’s just been awarded enhanced pip both elements, am I able to claim for carers allowance? Obviously I meet the criteria but unsure how it works with what benefits we are receiving. Thank you in advance.


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,576 Scope online community team
    Hi @perpetualthoughts.
    If you report caring through UC it’ll add the carer element to your UC claim (an extra £162 a month). 

    You can claim Carer’s Allowance alongside UC but it’s classed as an overlapping benefit and is deducted in full from your UC so it won’t increase your overall income.

    There are some benefits of claiming Carer’s Allowance though, for example it makes class 1 NI contributions (UC is only class 3), it can be paid weekly or four weekly (some people find it easier to budget that way), and if you’re in Scotland it entitles you to an extra carer premium twice a year.

    If you do decide to claim Carer’s Allowance alongside UC, be sure to still report being a carer to UC so the carer element can be added to your Universal Credit award too. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,537 Disability Gamechanger

    You can claim the carers element of uc and can do this through your online account as a change in circumstances as long as you care for him 35 hours or more per week

    I think you can also claim carers allowance but this will be then deducted from your uc if you claim both 

    Others with more knowledge about claiming both will explain this better 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,407 Disability Gamechanger
    If you previously reported that you were caring for your partner you should be able to get the carer element of UC backdated to the date the PIP has been awarded from. If you have not previously reported that you are caring you will not be able to do this.

    In respect of carer's Allowance you say you obviously meet the criteria. Be aware that you cannot earn more than £128/week from work and claim carer's Allowance. There is no earnings limit for the carer element of UC so you could work full time and still get the carer element if you provide 35 hours of care in the evenings/weekends.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • perpetualthoughts
    perpetualthoughts Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much for your swift replies! Much appreciated :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.