Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi everyone! if my son moved house and lives with his girlfriend will his benefits be impacted?

Hi everyone, i am trying to find out if my son moved house and lives with his girlfriend (who was his carer), if his ib esa support group will be affected as well as his housing benefit and ctax. she earns £1200 a year.

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Does his girlfriend work or is her earnings from her carers allowance? 

Council tax would be affected as single person discount would no longer apply 

As for the other benefits I'm not sure but others will respond 

Are both of them currently living alone in separate properties? 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,217 Pioneering
    edited April 8
    If he becomes part of a couple all his means tested benefits have to be reassessed on the basis of their joint circumstances. Does she claim benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • fleaflea Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you everyone, they do live in separate houses at the moment. I will let him know and they will have to decide what to do.

• calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,217 Pioneering
    Impossible to give any detailed advice without knowing her circumstances too. If the new home is in a different local authority Housing Benefit will be lost anyway regardless of her circumstances and if help with rent is needed it would have o be through UC which would end the ESA claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.