Hi everyone! if my son moved house and lives with his girlfriend will his benefits be impacted? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi everyone! if my son moved house and lives with his girlfriend will his benefits be impacted?

Options
flea
flea Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone, i am trying to find out if my son moved house and lives with his girlfriend (who was his carer), if his ib esa support group will be affected as well as his housing benefit and ctax. she earns £1200 a year.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Does his girlfriend work or is her earnings from her carers allowance? 

Council tax would be affected as single person discount would no longer apply 

As for the other benefits I'm not sure but others will respond 

Are both of them currently living alone in separate properties? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    If he becomes part of a couple all his means tested benefits have to be reassessed on the basis of their joint circumstances. Does she claim benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • flea
    flea Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you everyone, they do live in separate houses at the moment. I will let him know and they will have to decide what to do.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Impossible to give any detailed advice without knowing her circumstances too. If the new home is in a different local authority Housing Benefit will be lost anyway regardless of her circumstances and if help with rent is needed it would have o be through UC which would end the ESA claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.