Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
1:1 staff leaving my daughter to work with other children. Is this allowed?
Hi all, my daughter is 8 and she has multiple disabilities she has a rare disease and is very fragile. She has to be handled with care. She is in a wheel chair. She needs to be moved around the school. She needs personal care. She is more than capable of doing her work and is really clever for her age, however, she gets tired and her hands and arms ache so she is supposed to have a 1:1 30hrs a week. Recently my daughter has been coming home saying she had to wait 30 minutes for her 1:1 to return because she was out with other children and there has been other times when there has been an incident and the 1:1 has said she wasn’t with her. I have spoken to her 1:1 and she said she has spoken to the teacher about this but the teacher has said it is in her contract to work with other children. The 1:1 doesn’t think this is write and has spoken to the SENCo and the SENCo has agreed with the teacher. I understand sometimes a 1:1 will work with others as it would be really boring sitting around waiting for a child to need the toilet but the fact that she is doing the teaching assistants role too and leaving the classroom for long periods of time. It’s wrong. I have scheduled a meeting with the head but I would just like to know my rights and the rights of the 1:1. She has worked with my daughter for 4 years and there has never been an issue until she moved to this class with a bee teacher. Can anyone help any information would be great
- 52.8K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 755 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 697 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 748 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.