Does a partner moving in trigger a move from ESA to UC — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Does a partner moving in trigger a move from ESA to UC

Serendwr Member Posts: 6 Connected
So i'm looking at my partner moving in with me and am getting a lot of contradictory advice. I'm on ESA support Gp (contributions with income top up) and SDP.  PIP enhanced for care and mob.  I know my PIP will be unaffected and because of his earnings i will lose HB + CT.  The confusion lies as to whether the change of circumstances of him moving in with me will trigger a move to UC to make a joint claim. I know i'll loose the income related add-on's and SDP, he earns 25k before tax etc... no not rich, but above thresholds so wouldn't be looking to claim UC for him.  However i've also just been told that a change to UC with a partner will mean i lose the legacy 114.10 payment from my contributions.  I am so confused right now!! Any one got any ideas??


  • Serendwr
    Serendwr Member Posts: 6 Connected
    I live in Wales if this makes any difference

  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 5,289 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    You are correct that your PIP is unaffected.

    Your contribution based ESA is also unaffected. You would declare a change of circumstances to ESA. You would then be sent a form to capture financial details for you and your partner. Your income based ESA would be reassessed based on the new circumstances and it appears likely that there would be no entitlement. Similarly HB and CTR can be reassessed and again it appears likely there would be little or no ongoing entitlement.

    None of this requires a claim for Universal Credit.

    I would suggest you put details into a benefits calculator to check entitlement on both your existing benefits and UC. I think that on UC there could me a small entitlement because he could claim the carer element for looking after you. It will depend how much your rent is and consequently how much the housing element is and how much his take home pay is. Bear in mind that the results for UC currently include an extra £20/week which is due to end in October. Assuming you will not have more than £16,000 joint savings which would exclude you from means tested benefits anyway.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 624 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Just thought that I would follow up on your original post above, to see how you were getting on @Serendwr

    Thanks to calcotti for responding to your initial queries. Hopefully, that further information has helped to clarify things for you? 

    Also, I thought it might be useful to include a link to the Scope benefits calculator for you to follow up on as well. Bear in mind though that this is just a guide. It may not be completely accurate in respect of your own individual circumstances, and of course, it does not guarantee your entitlement. 

    If you do have any more questions about the process, just let us know. All the best with this going forward :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.