Hi, can I get some advice or contact? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, can I get some advice or contact?

Options
CharlotteS_1972
CharlotteS_1972 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I’ve just registered in the hope of finding the right support here.I wonder if I can get some advice or contact with someone who could support me. I became disabled about 10 years ago after cancer treatment and it has affected my life severely. I had to give up my job, I lost my confidence and my marriage is in a bad way. My depression and anxiety has left me struggling. I think I need practical support as I’ve already gone down the GP and medication route with little success. 
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Charlotte 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I am sorry to hear about your situation and we will try and support you if at all possible 

Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

Have a look around the site you might like our virtual coffee lounge 

Just let us know how we can help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @CharlotteS_1972 - welcome to this friendly & supportive community, & thank you for joining. You've come to the right place, as we have some lovely members, & there's nearly always someone about to talk to. There's a post here that you might find useful as it has a lot of advice, & practical tips. Please see: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/75929/coping-with-stress-low-mood-and-isolation-a-support-thread
    I hope some of this helps, & I look forward to hearing from you again. :)
  • NotReally
    NotReally Community member Posts: 59 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome!  I struggled to access social care and support, so I know these situations can be difficult.  Hopefully you'll be able to get some support here; if you've not contacted the advice line, I think it's well worth the phone call.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello @CharlotteS_1972

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling at the minute, hopefully being a part of this community will help you to meet others and build up your confidence :) 

While your interactions with your GP haven't been great, there is always the option of being referred to a new one in the hope that they have an approach which might work better for you. Have you spoken with the health professioanls in your life about your anxiety and depression? Is that something you receive support with? 

You can always read helpful information from places like Mind, which will hopefully help with managing your mental health at a time like this, and being a part of communities such as this one can help people feel less lonely, and help people re-gain confidence which seems to be lacking for you right now. You can always give the Scope helpline a call too if you fancy chatting through things.

Regarding your marriage, have you considered some sort of couples or marriage counselling for you and your other half?

If working is something you have the ambition to do, you might wish to consider Scope's Support to Work service. And you could use a benefits calculator to ensure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.