Hi, Why do employers try to skip away from employing the disabled? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, Why do employers try to skip away from employing the disabled?

24Superman
24Superman Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 2021 in Work and employment
Why do employers try to skip away from employing the disabled. Do we have two heads.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @24Superman

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to read that you clearly haven't had a great experience with whatever employer it was. How long have you been looking for work? 

I think many employers don't avoid employing disabled people, I just think there can often be a lack of awareness of how they can support disabled people. 

Have you considered seeking support to find work? Scope have a scheme called Support to Work which might be something you'd be interested in.

I removed part of your discussion title as I wasn't sure if it was a full name or not, or the name of an employer.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @24Superman :) How are you doing?

Have you had a chance to take a look at Ross' comment? It's fine if you just need a bit of a vent, but please do let us know if you have any specific questions or need support seeking employment.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I think many employers especially larger ones have a fairly positive attitude to employing disabled people
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming đź’ˇ

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Larger organisations tend to be more aware and employ many disabled people.  Some of it to raise their public image bit from experience they offer good support and opportunities 

Smaller single trading companies also work closely in the community and can also offer some more one on one 

The job centre have disability work coaches to assist in finding work.
  • 24Superman
    What if you are disabled and on a pension but feel you can take on a part-time role back in the workplace. I am thinking of working for myself  if I cannot move on elsewhere. 
  • janer1967
    Either are a possibility 

What tryp of work are you looking for and what would you do if you worked for yourself 
  • 24Superman
    I would be finding work for others. Like gardening, p&d and more, by using local talent. For a charity I would like to be a motivated, look after those with mental health issues and those with limb loss. I have 2 prosthetics legs amputated below the knee, but this does not stop me.
  • janer1967
    I am a amputee also 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    hi there like the others said some are really nice and understanding and some do judge I have had bad experience with employers and being disabled but there are nice employers out there it really depends I can’t work currently , 
  • 24Superman
    Hello there. I used to work within the probation service for over 16 years and now i have left and because of my disability having amputated legs but i do have prosthetic limbs , it is very difficult finding work. I was supposed to be working for United Response but they are slow at getting me started. I would love to do something for myself.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.