PIP reviewed and now disallowed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP reviewed and now disallowed

BattyWitch
BattyWitch Community member Posts: 4 Connected
I filled in my PIP Review Form and sent it off and then had a medical assessment over the phone. I received my award letter the other day from them informing me that I had 0 points and therefore they had stopped my payments.

I have bipolar disorder, severe anxiety and fibromyalgia and since I started getting DLA 10 years ago I have been getting the high rate of care and the low rate of mobility which has been reviewed every few years so you can imagine my shock at being told that I was being disallowed. 

After the shock of being told that, I then received another letter the following day informing me that my ESA had been reduced because of my PIP being disallowed. By the time you add up all the money that I have lost it comes to £716.20 every 4 weeks.

I have put in for a Mandatory Reconsideration and I'm waiting to hear back. If necessary though I will take it to a tribunal.

I have also contacted my local MP informing him about how people with genuine disabilities are being treated.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear about your PIP decision  and imagine the shock you had 

Let's hope you get a result from the MR in your favour thi the success rate is lower than at tribunal 

Keep us updated how you get on 
  • BattyWitch
    Thanks. It really was a shock and as I live alone it has left me in serious financial difficulty so I'm keeping everything crossed. 

I'll let you know how things work out. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @BattyWitch good afternoon and welcome to scope, that's a lot of money to lose every month, something like 40% of MR's have a positive outcome, but it's a good idea to use this time to try and line up some support if you have to go to appeal, welfare rights is a good place to start.

i would suspect your MP is either already aware of how badly some disabled people are treated or simply doesn't care.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• BattyWitch
    Thank you I'll try to get a hold of someone from welfare rights tomorrow.
  • TeddyB22
    TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
    BattyWitch said:
    Thank you I'll try to get a hold of someone from welfare rights tomorrow.
    I'm sorry to hear about what they are putting you through.
    I really fear now they are restarting f2f assessments that their attitude is hardening.
    I didn't know that they could reduce your ESA because of this either. I always thought criteria were different for ESA/PIP.
    I do hope you'll get satisfaction eventually. Seems Tribunals are the fairest way for people to get what they deserve.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    TeddyB22 said:..
    I didn't know that they could reduce your ESA because of this either. I always thought criteria were different for ESA/PIP.
    The criteria are different but the ESA may have included a Severe Disability Premium, entitlement to which depends on being in receipt of PIP (or other disability benefit). If the PIP stops the SDP is lost. Has nothing to do with ESA assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • BattyWitch
    It is the SDP that has been removed from my ESA but I was told that if I win my PIP award back I will be able to ask them to reinstate the SDP and have it backdated. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    It is the SDP that has been removed from my ESA but I was told that if I win my PIP award back I will be able to ask them to reinstate the SDP and have it backdated. 
    That’s correct.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.