Should parents reduce their child's screen time? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should parents reduce their child's screen time?

Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2021 in Coffee lounge
I thought this was a good discussion on another forum I am on should parents tell their children to pick two days a week where they don't play on their computers and phones  and do things with their family 

Such as a day out  activities in the garden  play board games anything that doesn't involve computers or phones 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Easier said than done and especially during lockdown when that is the only way they communicate with friends and schooling even done online 

Also as a disabled parent not easy for us to go out and if we do I can't join in so he would be doing stuff on his own 

However rather than full days off devices we do have restrictions and do other activities 

It's not easy when everything nowadays is all technology based 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 that's the problem isn't it all is online do you play board games like monopoly or things like that 

One of the people is in a wheel chair and he plays  crazy golf in the garden  lol using cups and things like that I am not saying its something you should as I know you have other problems it was just interesting to see what people did and said 

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Its the way the world is these days, its all about technology, even 3 year old are taught it in schools. I have 3 year old and 7 year old grandkids who both want to be on a tablet playing games. 
    When my son was in his teens, he'd be on the PlayStation after school, gaming against his friends and family, at least he was home and safe.
    I think if we had it as children I would of wanted it too, we had CB radio that used to annoy the neighbours. 
    I would be lost without Internet, I do lots of research on it for 1. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    We play trivial pursuits and game of life sometimes and used to do lego but I can't see well enough now 

He likes art so he does that and photography but then edits them using technology lol 

As sandy sa7d while he us on his xboc or phone at least I know where he is and what he is doing and would much rather he is than out on the streets getting mixed up with wrong crowd or getting into harm 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I think children and young adults should spend some time off their gizmos and gadgets and touch base with their family members in games or outside activities of some sort. I’d also advocate learning some simple DIY and gardening skills too, good for mind, body and soul...and the pocket eventually.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    It's difficult to turn the clock back and uninvent technology, but kids should make way for other things if that's what they chose, our 7 year old grandson has been more tech savvy than me since he was 5 years old, but he has recently started playing for a junior football team with an hours training a week.
    I think looking back we were as guilty as parents in the 1980's when it was easy to sit the kids down in front of the telly or a video to keep them quiet, so i'm not going to judge todays parents.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine it's not about judging just seeing what other people's thoughts are  
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    In terms of gaming I do think a lot of time is spent doing it. For example when my brother is not at college you can’t tear him from an Xbox. I think that’s how it is these days though and how he’s grown up with friends doing the same. When I was growing up it was different and I wasn’t much of a gamer anyway. 

In general technology terms I think it’s good to learn and keep up with the times as technology can be a useful tool, help with a lot of things and reduce time spent doing a task another way. 

However not just children but adults too should be aware how much time they are spending on technology and take a break. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wanted to let you know I have edited the title of the thread @lisathomas50, to more closely reflect the question being asked. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.