How long should I wait to call PIP? I haven't heard anything back. How long does it usually take? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long should I wait to call PIP? I haven't heard anything back. How long does it usually take?

paulrose
paulrose Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
just wondering how long i should wait to call pip i first called them in january got my form and sent it back in feb never herd anything apart from a txt to say they recieved the form how long does it normally take thanks in advance 

Comments

• saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi, I can only give you my experience,  but I sent my form back 17th February,  had a letter & phone call for an assessment on 23rd April,  but then it was cancelled & rebooked for 6th May. I think alot of it depends on the area you live in. There are people on here that have been waiting months.  I can,t give you any advice regarding ringing them, but hopefully someone with more expertise then me will be along shortly!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

There are no set waiting times it depends on the area and backlogs 

Some on  here applied in Nov and still waiting others like example above have been quicker 

Not really any point ringing dwp as it us the assessment company who deal with assessments 

It's just a waiting game I'm afraid they have confirmed they have your form so not much else you can do at this stage 
  • paulrose
    Thanks very much for the replys I'll wait a while thanks again 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @paulrose :) Thanks for joining.

I've renamed your post slightly and moved it into our PIP category. As the others have said, it can unfortunately take quite a few months to go through the PIP process. Please do keep us updated!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • paulrose
    Yes I'll update thanks very much 
  • bart70
    bart70 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    I applied on 4th dec 2020 and they received my form 18th dec. I rang them today as I’ve still not heard anything and I’ve been told my claim hasn’t been looked at yet! I’m pushing 6 months now! It’s not about the money for me it’s the help with my mobility I need. Is there anything that can be done to push them?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    bart70 said: It’s not about the money for me it’s the help with my mobility I need. 
    Not clear what you mean by this. If it’s to do with getting a Blue Badge you can apply for one without having PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bart70
    I’ve applied for my blue badge and been awarded that for 3 years today. Just paid for it and awaiting it in the next 2 weeks. But when I’ve asked for other help ie hand rails in the shower, rail next to the wc so I can stand up without needing help I’m asked for my pip results. I need other help too which I just can’t afford as I’m on the new style esa and UC so I get £700 a month. After having paid into the system for 30 years I feel very short changed and left high and dry. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Clearer now. If I understand correctly you are effectively being refused a needs assessment without a PIP award. That doesn’t seem right to me.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bart70
    edited April 2021
    I didn’t know about this. Thank you so much, I can look into this and speak to the council about it. As I said everyone just assumed that because I’m having mobility issues that I have pip. I wish lol but I will get onto that in the morning and see what help I can get without pip for now. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bart70 - & welcome to the community. I don't know if this will help you, as you mention there's likely other help you need too, but there are some aids which don't cost too much if they would help you in the meanwhile. Please see about hand rails in the shower for example from this online shop: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathroom-aids/grab-rails/    also
    You don't have to pay VAT, just usually complete a simple online form. I've used this shop previously, as have other members. They also supply the NHS.
    I would also suggest speaking to your GP to see if they can help & expedite matters; at least you should make them aware of the difficulties you're facing. I know that Voiceability have helped one of our members, tho obviously can't just recommend them on this once instance. However, pre-pandemic they visited the person in question to find out her needs, then were there on the day when she had her Occupational therapist's needs assessment to make sure her needs would actually be met. Please see: https://www.voiceability.org/   unfortunately they're not available in all areas, However, depending on the disabilities you face, there may be an appropriate charity/organisation that can help, so worth pursuing. Please kindly let us know how you get on, thank you.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @bart70, Hello and welcome, you need to phone contact your local council adult social care team, they will access your needs by having a home visit and respond with the relevant items required. I had bath board, had rail from my front door to the pavement mat no costs to myself.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.