Is there any way around the cap on UC? Any help in completing duplicate form for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Is there any way around the cap on UC? Any help in completing duplicate form for PIP?

01Meeshy01 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi guys. I have recently been placed in the LCW element. I have a benefit Cap on my Universal Credit, thus leaving me with only £200 per month to live off. The Cap is set at £143.00 per month, was wondering if there is any way around this as living off the amount that I am currently getting is challenging. I applied for PIP a couple of months ago, only to find out today that they never received my claim and was informed that they would send me out a duplicate to fill in, again. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,342 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    You should always keep copies of anything you send then you could gave jyst sent them another copy 

    For help for both your queries maybe conract welfare rights or Cab 

    I don't know the answer about benefit cap but other here will be able to advise 

    There is also lots 9f advice in our pip section about filling in the application
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,799 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Do you mean you are having £143/month deducted from your UC due to the benefit cap? If you are a single adult outside a London the benefit cap limits your benefit income to £1116/month.

    No way around the benefit cap if you do not fall into an exempt category.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.