Pip descriptor- planning and following journeys — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip descriptor- planning and following journeys

Options
smegs1978
smegs1978 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I’m wondering if I could ask some advice, sorry for the long explanation.

I’ve received my report back from my pip assessment. I scored 0 points for planning and following journeys.

The assessor only asked if I could take her to the local shop and I said I would know the way to the shop and back but couldn’t go without my husband as it would cause me to much anxiety due to being worried I would fall or have an asthma attack.  She has therefore decided that means I can plan and follow a route unaided reliably and on the majority of days.  She never asked if I could go to an unfamiliar route.

She has put she considered a higher descriptor but because my anxiety is related to my physical health that, that’s not considered within the remit of this descriptor.

So my question is does it matter the reason I have the severe anxiety, surely not being able to follow any route because of anxiety should cover one of the descriptors? 

BTW I sent evidence from my psychologist that states my anxiety has aspects of health anxiety, acrophobia and panic.

I’m still waiting for my decision letter but getting all evidence together and writing my supporting statements ready for a MR incase the case manager goes by the report.

Comments

• smegs1978
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.  Sorry I should have added im unable to take any route without my husband being present, he has to give me a lot of encouragement to leave the house, I only go out maybe once or twice a fortnight and I don’t sleep the night before a planned event.  I have an example in my claim pack about what happens when I attempt to leave the house.

I am fine while I am out providing my husband is with me, however as soon as I come across a social situation, my social
    anxiety kicks in and I have to go home.

i feel I should be entitled to 2, however the assessor is arguing because of anxiety is health related it isn’t covered under this descriptor and my argument is why does it matter why i am anxious.  

I did say in my initial claim that I’m unable go out on my own to a place I know or do not know.

I’m hoping the case manager changes my points to 12 on the other mobility activity, and then it won’t matter what I score on this one.

Thanks again for your quick reply. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @smegs1978 - & welcome to the community. I do hope you've found the reply above helpful, as well as the questions asked. :)
  • smegs1978
    Options
    Yes thank you, I didn’t need to worry as I was awarded enhanced mobility and standard care.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's good news then @smegs1978 - thank you for letting us know. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.