No enititlee to backdated money — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No enititlee to backdated money

Options
kelc87
kelc87 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi

I've just been awarded enhanced rate for pip living allowance. I started my claim on the 24th of novemeber 2020. I have been reassured through out the process that this is the date that if successful the money would be backdated too.

However they have started payment's from the day the decision was made one week ago. 

I tried to phone but was told not everyone gets backdated money and I'm not entitled to it. The only reason they said was that my condition hasn't been there longer then 3 months. However  on the report it does say had condition longer then 3 months likely to last at least 9.

Please help I am so confused ?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That does seem odd. Even if you had no difficulties until you claimed on 24th November three months would be 24th February so you would expect backdating to that date. You can request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the the decision not to backdate. Difficult to comment further without knowing more about the circumstances of your claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

When did you say on your form that the condition  started ? 

You should get back pay in my opinion try calling and ask to speak yo your case manager or request a call back 

Regular payments do start before back pay   does your award letter mention anything about back pay 

I would challenge it if they are saying you are not entitled 
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    oh my god thats a joke,i had my assessment on the 27th january,im now taking them to court,ive asways been told,if sussessful you get money backdated from when you made the claim
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @kelc87! :)

It's good to have you with us. But sorry that's it under these circumstances and that you're having difficulty getting your backdated payments. 

You've already received one or two answers to your query there. Hope those suggestions are helpful to you and have given you some options about what to do next? And if you do want to tell us a few more details, then our community members might be able to offer some further advice for you as well maybe.

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kelc87
    Options
    Thankyou everyone 

So my conditions ive had for 5 plus years, I was awarded pip then when reassessed told I was entitled to nothing 2019. I should of appealed but I just didn't have the strength. I reapplied November 24th 2020 with same condition plus extra because things I've got worse.

I've phoned and they can't give an explanation so it's had to go somewhere else to phone me to give the explanation.

I for sure have never heard this. There's no mention of the additional backpay. But does stay claim starts from 27th of April. 

I will keep everyone posted. 

Is there any good reason why they wouldn't backdate it ?
  • kelc87
    Options
    I'm also wondering and it's a long shot. But I got £128 backpay fro the 27th. If you work it out from novemeber 24th I should of got 1228. Coincidence? Typo? 
  • janer1967
    Options
    No reason I have ever heard of but I'm sure there will be others who have heard of this 

If you don't agree put in a MR to appeal the decision not to pay you from start of claim 
  • janer1967
    Options
    The money you have been paid could be part payment for the first period eg not a full month 
  • kelc87
    Options
    That would make perfect sense snd from what I'm reading the backdated money is a Completely seperate issue. Here's hoping I get a letter or phone call soon to explain and if the decision still the same I have the option for mc. 

Thankyou so much for your help I will update this once I know more 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.