Dwp didnt take my pip back dated money — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dwp didnt take my pip back dated money

clarefar
clarefar Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi everyone so after 27 weeks (first time ive ever tried to claim pip) i have finally been awarded pip standard rate which im happy with i cant deal with the stress of doing a MR.
Dwp say i owe them 12000 in tax credits (not true but i cant prove it as from over 10 yrs ago) but pip paid my back pay into my bank so dwp didnt take it, thought this might give a little hope to people who owe dwp and are waiting to hear from pip and their back payments and for those claiming for the first time, its stressful but not every pip story is bad news. Good luck

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news glad they didn't stop the back pay 

I'm no money expert but i thought any debt that hasn't been attempted to be recovered after 6 years has to be written off but I may be wrong 
  • clarefar
    I wish dwp says i owe 12,695 and i pay out of my uc each month, i actually received a letter a few weeks ago saying they will keep taking payments. I have no choice but to pay it as i cant prove i dont owe it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    janer1967 said: I'm no money expert but i thought any debt that hasn't been attempted to be recovered after 6 years has to be written off but I may be wrong 
    The six year limit prevents court action but the debts do not die and in the case of benefits any past debt can be recovered from ongoing benefits or wages.
    https://www.nationaldebtline.org/fact-sheet-library/statute-barred-debts-ew-/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @calcotti thanks for that appreciate the info 

@clarefar sorry didn't realise you already had payment plan in place 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    clarefar said:
    I wish dwp says i owe 12,695 and i pay out of my uc each month, i actually received a letter a few weeks ago saying they will keep taking payments. I have no choice but to pay it as i cant prove i dont owe it.
    As it is Tax Credits DWP have no information about how the debt arose. They are simply recovering money as directed by HMRC who administer Tax Credits. There has been a huge push to recover these old debts and many claimants are struggling as a consequence and often have no knowledge of how the debt arose. In many cases it will have been a failure to return the end of year renewal pack that triggered the treatment of the previous year of Tax Credit payments as an overpayment.

As at December 2020 10% of UC claimants were having deductions from their awards to pay back Tax Credits.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • clarefar
    Thank you for all the information its very helpfull.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @clarefar Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear the money was transferred to your bank. 

The statistic quoted by @calcotti is eye-opening stuff and it's incredibly disheartening to think how many must be struggling as a result of withheld underpayments  :(  I found Mike's link v informative so do try to give that a read when you have time.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    The statistic quoted by @calcotti is eye-opening stuff and it's incredibly disheartening to think how many must be struggling as a result of withheld underpayments 
    10% is down from a high of 18% but I think that reflects the huge increase in the number of UC claimants rather than a reduction in the number of claimants affected.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.