Wild swimming to help with my mental health — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wild swimming to help with my mental health

Options
SarahMusicMaker70
SarahMusicMaker70 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
In the last week or so I have started Open Water/Wild Swimming at a Lovely well organised Lake that has Parking and Lifeguards, I'm hoping to build up my fitness and brighten up my Mental Health which I know has been struggling for a while especially since being made redundant again.
I've got to say the thought of going into a chilly Lake didn't sound appealing until I actually tried it, Wow It was incredibly exhilarating, I found it has given me a new sort of energy, I can see why it has become so popular especially since the Swimming Pools were closed, I have now been 5 times.....It's not open every day otherwise I would have been 10 times.

Comments

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello SarahMusicMaker70.

How are you doing? Sorry to hear about your redundancy. Have you got any plans for what you might want to do next?

On a more positive note, this sounds great! I've often thought about giving wild swimming a go. But it's one of those things that I've never got round to. I'll have to put it on my 'to do' list now that we're coming out of lockdown. 

I've heard people talk about the buzz that you get from doing it. And from what I understand, it can be incredibly beneficial for mental health as well, in lots of different ways. Alastair Campbell is a bit of a fan, I believe? Take that how you will, depending on whether or not you're a fan of Alastair Campbell, I suppose! ;)

All the best with it. You'll have to keep us posted on how you get on with it over the coming weeks. 

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • SarahMusicMaker70
    SarahMusicMaker70 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    Thanks Caz I'll let you know how I get on with the Swimming and the next form of Employment, My next Swim is on Sunday morning, I can hardly wait.

Honestly go for it, It's fun! 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, please do @SarahMusicMaker70! Thank you :)

I'd love to find out a bit more about getting involved and maybe taking the plunge myself. Pun entirely intended there!

Enjoy your Sunday morning swim. Hope the weather's nice and the water's nicely brisk for you. ;)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.