Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is ang260!

Options
ang260
ang260 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi my husband and I receive Esa as my husband is disabled he has just received a letter saying he has to apply for his pension now which I have done but not sure what else we can claim take it esa will stop, I’m only 54 so a while before I’m at pension age 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @ann260 and welcome to the community, how are you? 

I just wanted to let you know that I've moved your discussion to our ESA category, which you might like to browse for similar situations. 

Do you and your husband receive any other benefits aside from ESA?

I hope you find navigating the community okay, let us know if you have any questions.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    When will he reach pension age?

You will be a 'mixed age couple'. Depending on your joint finances you may be able to claim Universal Credit. You both have to claim but the claim process links your claims so that entitlement is calculated based on joint circumstances.

If that will be the case you need to claim before he reaches pension age. If you claim before pension age then his ESA Support Group status will transfer across to UC from the start of the claim. If UC is claimed after pension age it will not.

As Ross says - what other benefits are you both receiving? Do you know how much his state pension will be?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ang260
    Options
    Hi no I don’t know what his state benefit will be for sure done a foresight said £181 per week but said it’s not a def amount, I receive carers allowance and my husband gets dla 
  • ang260
    Options
    He will be pension age on 1st sept and I am only 54 this year 
  • calcotti
    Options
    As you haven't mentioned Housing Benefit i assume you are not renting.

If that is your only income and there is nobody else living with you.
    UC entitlement (at today's rates) standard allowance £596.58 plus LCWRA element £343.63 plus carer element £163.73 = £1103.94.
    State Pension @ £181/week = £784.33/month
    Carer's Allowance @ £67.60/week = £292.93/month
    UC payable is £1,103.94 - £784.33 - £292.93 = £26.68/month (so not much). However UC is currently set to reduce by about £88/month from October in which case nothing will be payable.

CA and DLA continue unchanged, although at some point your husband will be told his DLA is going to end and will be invited to apply for PIP.

At £181/week the pension is going to be more than his current ESA award (which I infer is £151.50/week) so you will be better off even if no UC is payable.

Your Council Tax bill may change because your Council Tax Reduction (assuming you are claiming it) will have to be recalculated.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ang260
    Options
    Thanks it’s all so complicated, we do actually rent and at the moment we get housing benefit and discretionary housing benefit as well 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Your Housing benefit will end when he reaches pension age so if you want help with rent you will need to claim Universal Credit. The maximum UC amount i quoted earlier will be increased by the help with rent amount. You should think about applying for UC in August before he reaches pension age (although you can apply sooner if you wish)

DHPs are usually only awarded for limited periods. Whether or not the council will award you further DHP is, as the name says, at their discretion.
  • ang260
    Options
    Ok Thankyou very much for the help much appreciated 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.