Inheritance and disability benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inheritance and disability benefits

Options
pixiecrest
pixiecrest Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I’m disabled and due a substantial inheritance in the next few months. I plan to buy a new house as the one I live in is proofing really hard to manage with my disability. I’m receiving ESA and PIP at the moment. I’ll guessing I’ll lose my ESA and even though I’ll have money for the first time ever I’ll need so much of it to buy a house/move and adapt the new house for my disability needs. I have no family now and no one to advise me. I just wondered if anyone could advise me on this subject or have experience of these things?
 Thanks in advance 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether or not you lose ESA depends on whether it is all income based or is partly contribution based. Contribution based entitlement would continue.
    You are correct that PIP is not affected.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pixiecrest
    pixiecrest Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for answering.  Yes it’s income based. So the only disability benefit I would get is PIP?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Thank you for answering.  Yes it’s income based. So the only disability benefit I would get is PIP?
    Yes.
    if your capital falls below £16,000 in the future you will be able to claim Universal Credit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.