Hi, my name is mookie! Should I try for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mookie! Should I try for PIP?

Options
mookie
mookie Community member Posts: 51 Connected
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi ,after my liver transplant ,now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia ,should I try for pip ,thanks

Comments

• mookie
    Options
    Should I try for pip ,had a transplant and Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia ,finding it hard to walk ant distance all,
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Pip isn't about a condition  but how that condition affects your daily life and mobility 

Have a look through the descriptors to see if you think you would qualify 

You can find them in our pip section  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mookie - & welcome to the community. PIP is about how your functional ability is affected against certain activities/descriptors & about your mobility. Please have a look at the following link to give you an idea about this, & do please come back with any questions. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi ya @mookie well done on having a  liver transplant, feel free to join in conversations on the forum too. If you feel you are struggling on a daily basic then look into pip, use the link above posted.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hello @mookie :) Welcome to the community!

How are you getting on today? Hope you're doing OK, and recovering well after your liver transplant?

I know you've come to us asking about PIP, so I thought that I would signpost to a few additional resources that you might want to have a look at. Here's a link to the PIP information on the Scope website, and the Turn2Us pages on 'What is PIP?' and 'What is the PIP test?'. And, as some of our members have already said, you'll see that points are awarded depending on the daily living and mobility aspects of your claim, rather than a particular condition of diagnosis. So, you might want to do a bit of reading and consider how that fits with your current circumstances?

We also have a separate discussions category on the community for PIP, DLA and AA, which you might want to check out. In fact, I've just tweaked the title of your post and moved it across to that section, so that you post is easier to spot and our members can get back to you about any queries you might have about the process of claiming PIP.

Hope that's helpful. Any questions, or if you need any more help, please do give us a shout. :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mookie
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies ,I'm extremely lucky for my transplant and to my donor ,so thank you ,will look at info ,x
  • mookie
    Options
    Hi everyone ,I'm up to 15 weeks no pip assessment ,back pain is now chronic post l/ t and fibro
    Has anyone had a recent assessment
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Waiting times can be long unfortunately @mookie. Have you checked that they've received your application?

I'm sorry to hear that your back pain is chronic now. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Are you undergoing any treatment for the pain? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • mookie
    Options
    Hi Tori 
    Yes have spoken to doc on pain meds for fibromalgia and liver transplantation ,

Spoke to pip said it was with assessor ,unsure of time scale with this 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, yes I do think it is worth trying for PIP.
    Well done on the transplant. How long is it since it was done? I hope your recovery is going well.

I am on PIP and transferred from DLA in 2019. I have MS but DWP aren't interested in a diagnosis,....they are interested in how you cope with walking, eating, bathing etc.

If you need the help of a piece of equipment, or another person, to help you carry out tasks, this is what will gain you points.

If your condition is expected to improve, then you will have trouble getting PIP.

Good luck.
  • mookie
    Options
    It's been 15 months for transplant ,(always in my thoughts my donor) but having kidney problem due to meds. Fibromyalgia is a new diagnosis but extremely strange pain pops up everywhere ,burning skin so can't wear shoes at moment !!! 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    The timescales can really vary @mookie, so we wouldn't be able to give you an exact time frame. It's good that they definitely seem to have received it though. Try not to worry too much in the meantime :) 

I'm glad to hear that you're on some pain medication. Is it helping? 

• mookie
    Options
    No really ,have to watch what meds I take to tacrolimus interference, ,just can't work out fibromyalgia today have it in legs so struggling to walk properly ,it's all new to me ,

How are you, nice to meet you 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm fine, thanks for asking @mookie :) It's good to meet you too. 

I see. Yes, I can imagine it could take a while to get your head around the new diagnosis. Here are a couple of resources that could help you to learn more about your fibromyalgia if you haven't already read them:
    Have you looked into other pain management techniques, such as exercises you could do to try and get your pain a little more under control? I appreciate that might be difficult at the moment. 

• mookie
    Options
    Hi Tori , will read what you have sent and get back to you 

Thank you for you help ,have to speak to consultant in July 
    Have had this pain all over since I came off the steroids after transplant back never recovered ,from ascites odema , peritonitis encephalitis ,and sepsis ,so body been through a lot ,but I'm alive with my beautiful family ,so never gonna complain ??

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.