Hearing aids and communication score — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing aids and communication score

Options
erin2490
erin2490 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
So I got my pip award back and I got 11 points for the care component, I'm just really confused as to why I didn't score anything on communication.... The descriptor says to get 2 points. use of an aid to assist you to speak or hear (or something like that)
I said I wear hearing aids and they have said during the assessment. I wasn't wearing hearing aids and managed to communicate and understand well.....apparently I said I didn't wear hearing aids and had never been precribed any..... How can they get things like that so wrong.

I've had hearing aids since 2004, and the assessment was done via the phone so I don't understand how they could say I was not wearing them and I know I would never have said I wasn't wearing them and definitely wouldn't have said I had never been precribed any.

Also am I wrong in thinking I should get 2 points in the communication part

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,735 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    descriptor 7b

Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to speak or hear. 2 points.

You need to ask for an MR and point out that you do use an hearing aid and they have been prescribed and who by.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• erin2490
    Options
    Yea I was thinking that, thanks for replying.
     I just don't understand how they got it so wrong at the assessment. 
    Do you think I'd likely be successful doing a mc 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's every chance that you could be successful at an MR @erin2490, providing you put across your case in the correct way, with plenty of anecdotal evidence to back up your points. 

Have you considered seeking representation or some kind of support with your claim?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • erin2490
    Options
    Representation?? 
    Some kind of support? Like someone who knows me and how my hearing effects me? 

I am thinking of getting a.letter from audiology which I didn't send In originally,  
    So make sure I use examples of how my hear loss effects me.

I know that since we've had to wear facemasks, I hadn't realised even with the use of hearing aids... I lip read alot and now I struggle more to understand people. And spend alot of my time being embrassed, after I already ask a person to repeat themself and still cannot figure out what's being said. So I just agree and leave feeling frustrated and upset. Because if i ask a person to repeat themself too much, alot of the time people make silly comments. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Apologies @erin2490, by representation I mean a professional who would be able to support and advise you through the process. Find more information through places like Advice Local, CAB or go through your local Welfare Rights.

That's frustrating regarding the face masks, and it's a shame that people aren't more patient when you ask them to repeat themselves.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • erin2490
    Options
    Thanks you for the advice really appreciated x
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 992 Scope online community team
    Options

Hello @blopper,

We just want to let you know we’ve edited your comment because it contained advertising. For more information about why we removed this, please consider our online community house rules

All the best, 

Tori

Online community team 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad that you found a solution that works well for you @blopper :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.